Speedometer

  • Thread starter Thread starter brokebronc
  • Start date Start date
B

brokebronc

Guest
I hit a pot hole and my speedometer whent to zero, 93' 5.8L, E40D tranny, borgwarner 13-56 electronic shift transfer. I know that the speedomerter is electronic but I can't find the speed sensor on the tranny or the transfer case. can any one tell me were the sensor is at. be cause "chiltons" can't
 
its on the pass side front of the transfer case rightbelow the transfer case vent hose if you need a pic i've got my t-case out
 
to 94 bronc: there is a sealed hole there but there is no sensor. the only other speed sensor is the ABS sensor on the rear diff. and since my ABS warning light is now on I think they are some what relate. if you or any one else has any knowledge of this I would be greatful to hear it
 
Look for your speed sensor as part of the spedo cable where it attaches to the transfer case. There should be a plug in connector on a wire close to it that probably popped out. If you can't find the plug part attached to two wires, it probably got ripped off dragging on the road. If that is the case, you might look for two wire stubs where the plug was ripped off.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
i was wrong the plug i was talking about is the 4wd sensor

the speedo sensor is part of the rear diff its the connector on top

it's a magnetic pickup there is a tone ring in side the diff atached to the ring gear
 
the abs sensor on the rear diff controls your speedometer so replace it . If that doesnt work check fuses if this doesnt work theres a cluster on the back of the speedometer thats bad because i had the same problem with my speedo that took me 6 months to figure it out good luck.....
 
My 95 Bronco speedometer needle starting bouncing as much as 10 mph. Shortly there after the e40d transmission started shifting very hard between all gears. I checked the speed sensor in the rear end. No heavy build up of metal chips was noted. It checked good with a meter. I was stumped. I noticed it would shift fine after it rained and then start shifting rough once it warmed up. Took it to a tranny shop where they replaced my speed sensor ($20 part). No luck. Computer kept showing speed sensor code. They were stumped. I mentioned the speedo bouncing so they said they would ck it out. They pounded on the instrument cluster and knocked my speedo and odometer completely out! I was ticked! I removed the cluster and found a 52 pin computer chip had come off the circuit board. Took it to the local Ford dealer who sent it to AER in Orange County, CA for overhaul. $340 and 1 week I was back in action with all problems fixed including my tranny problems. Turns out Fords solder joints were poor. The rain increased the moisture in the air improving the poor solder connection. Once things dryed up the tranny problems would appear. I was glad later that they pounded on the cluster. I would have been checking wires forever & never would have thought of the instrument panel!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top