Spare Tire Bolt

  • Thread starter Thread starter naturallite7
  • Start date Start date
N

naturallite7

Guest
Hello. I bought a brand new '95 Eddie Baurer. I have driven it 76,??? miles so far. I have had no problems so far, just the tires, brakes and such. I have now, a broken bolt that the spare tire grabs. I went to the local bolt supplier. They couldn't help me. I went to the local Ford dealer. They pulled up the drawing and the bolt is not there? I see the sleeve the bolt goes through, but no bolt?Any one ever had luck buying this bolt?Would any one know where I could check on getting this bolt? Thanks in advance.
 
Usually bolts are a stock item that are not particularly listed. Actually if it is an interior carrier, just go to your local hardware store or auto parts store and get a bolt that matches the thread on the butterfly nut.

Short of that, the exerior carrier bolt, which is J shaped, part number is388 189-S100 and needs nut pn 385 122-S36. The internal carrier bolt is pn 382272-S2 and could use nutpn 383609-S2 to bhold it in place on the carrier. You also need plate 1424 and wingnut pn 386605-S40.

Finding these at a local Ford dealer could be iffy. If the stock guy is willing to do it, they have a national data base that he can search to see if any dealers have any of the parts in stock. I have had pretty good success with this in finding some parts. Ofcourse you will be paying Ford prices, but if they have a hard to find part, what else can do :((

Good luck,
:)>-
 
:D Thanks for all the help that was offered. May I explain a little more. The spare tire is the out side mount. The bolt supplier really seemed to try and help.He invited me to the back and we both looked for about 30 minutes trying to match it up. The guy at the Ford place was very little help and thats putting it nicely. He did pull up the drawing and let me look at it,while he chatted on the phone. The guy at the bolt place kinda thought it may be a 9 or 11 mm? Pretty much all the threads are still in the nut that is welded on. The bolt has a "star" head on it. I know there is a name for this type, I just don't know what it's called. I am hoping to get a new one, because the used one may be about to break too?Thanks again for the help!
 
Just a thought, but if everything else fails you, try to find someone who can fabricate you a part. It is amazing how fast some guys can do that sort of stuff. I knew a guy at a motorcycle shop (private, not a dealer) that could whip up a fix on just about anything, boat trailers, 4WD mods, etc in a few minutes. He could cut, grind, whatever then weld up a replacement and it looked GREAT. Not like someone ham fisted a quick fix. He would charge 10 bucks plus materials on the really quick stuff. And that's what it sounds like you have, something quick. If you have a custom bike shop, a trailer manufacturer, or something like Simpson Tool Box in your area you can try them. Any place that does metal fabrication of one sort or another, the smaller the place the better. Big time places are not interested and you can't talk to the mechanics to see if one of them would be interested. Some 4WD shops are good for that too though some can only seem to handle installing products.
 
IS the bolt one of the ones that mounts the carrier to the body, or the single J-shaped bolt that holds the tire to the rack??? Here's a pick of the rack that might help:
getfile.php
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top