Smoking Brakes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bic_David
  • Start date Start date
B

Bic_David

Guest
I have a 88 Bronco. I tow a 21ft fourwinns boat with it. It does allright on flat ground but comming down steep grades the front brakes start smoking and fading.
I'm looking into getting more pulling power such as gears etc. BUT I need to stop this thing lol. I have replaced all brake parts soooooooo any upgrades out there?
Yes I have oversized tires.
 
Might not be cheap, but try looking for a trailer with surge brakes on it if you don,t already have them (may be able to retro fit them). makes a major diff. when pulling heavy loads and may just save your backside some day.
 
Ya thats true I have tandum axles with surge brakes. The boat anf trailer are 2002 models so everything is new also.
has anyone tryed vented rotors?
 
Go to your local auto parts store and get the extra heavy duty pads and shoes, they will me listed for "fleet vehicles" You may also want to upgrade the calipers and rotors for the same. As far as I can tell the "vented" cross drilled & slotted rotors may help some with heat dispersement but I have not tried them yet.
 
Wow! Smokin front brakes isn't a good thing......the next thing in line to happen would be to get em so hot they won't do much stoppin at all & depending on how steep the grade you are goin down,that might suck! Well the trailer brake thing is probably the best bet but probably not the most practical thing. Upgraded rotors, pads & maybe even calipers might help a bit. But in my opinion since your 1/2 ton brake system can only handle so much.......You should do like the diesels & throw it down a gear & take it ez!!!! ;) My 2 cents Good Luck!
 
You might also look into rear brake disc conversion and the extreem duty brakes that are listed in Jeff's Bronco Graveyard "80 and above catalog.

Good luck,

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top