Size Does Matter

  • Thread starter Thread starter broncgirl
  • Start date Start date
B

broncgirl

Guest
I just got a new (not really) 78 bronco. I was told by the chick who sold it to me that it had a 400 in it, but I dont think so, I think it's bigger, :)>- how can I tell?
 
just by looking it's hard to tell a 351m/400 from a 460.
count the bolts on the valve cover is a sure way
351m/400 has 8 bolts holdin the cover on.
302/351w 6 bolts
460 7 bolts if i remember right.
 
First place to look would be the valve covers for the engine sticker. Barring that, altho the 351M-400 and 429/460 are similar, there are some differences. The 429/460 is wider and to fit in a 78/79 has to have either headers, truck manifolds or the right rear frame notched for the car manifold. I would bet that its probably a 400 as that and the 351M were the only two motors available in those years.

-Breeze
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top