Silver Bullet

  • Thread starter Thread starter BRONCO JIM
  • Start date Start date
B

BRONCO JIM

Guest
fINALLY GOT TO PULLING AXELS TO SEE WHAT CAUSED THE HOWLING IN THE REAR END AND LO AND BEHOLD IT WASENT THE BEARINGS OR ANYTHING IN THE REAR END,IT WAS THE AXEL. THERE WAS A 1 INCH GROOVE WHERE THE BEARINGSEATS ON THE AXEL.WHY THE BEARING DIDN T DESTRUCT IS BEYOND ME,AND WHY THE GROOVE I HAVE NO IDEA. anyone OUT THERE HAVE THIS PROBLEM,and if so,is there something else I should look for. the groove was at the outer bearing,and has to be at least 2 to 3 hundredth inch worn. having fun now trying to find axel for r. side. this is short one. 89,fs,4x,locking or lim.slp rear.anyone got one lying around ? BJ :wacko:
 
I would venture a guess that at one time or another the bearing at that position was frozen. Good thing you found it before the a whseel passed you on your way down the road.

Check out Jeff's bronco graveyard. His 80 and up catalog has them for $90.00 according to the info they are stronger than the stock axel. I believe that the same axel is used from 80 to end of production. Your local friendly auto recycler should have something if you want a used axel.

Good luck,

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top