shifter play

94 4x4

New Member
Have slack in column shifter in 95 ford f-150. Is this a hard problem to fix? Will go in gear but with a lot of play.
 
Have slack in column shifter in 95 ford f-150. Is this a hard problem to fix? Will go in gear but with a lot of play.
There r a couple thing that will do this.

Remove upper and bottom cover . And see if bolts r just loose in the "U Bolt holding it in place .(this is common to happen ) You can unbolt and drop steering column to seat to work on it .

The other is the shift tube itself worn . And they can break on you .

Both r not hard to do . Common tools . tho there may be some torx screws to deal with its been awhile .

The last shift tube I bought I got at dealer. But they r oN eBAy and I 'm told in after market also .

good luck
 
You can also adjust the tension on the shift cable. This connects the shifter to the transmission. Most repair manuals, such as Haynes, have an in depth process of adjusting the cable.
 
yes it was loose bolts thanks for the help sorry it took so long to reply been fishing thanks again to all help​

No need to be sorry was just showing an interest . Glad it went ok . I broke the shift tube once and had to shift under dash for 3 days till it came in.
 
No need to be sorry was just showing an interest . Glad it went ok . I broke the shift tube once and had to shift under dash for 3 days till it came in.
great and one more thing if you know about the codes on inside of door about tranny and rears?
 
There r basically 3 common rears in the F150 trucks

But there r 26 or so including all capacities and open or limited slip .


Common for the 3800 # equipped F150 include

Door tag #

12 is 2:73
17 3:31
18 3:08 see em with 300-6
19 3:55


Limited slip have letter number combo

H5 4:10
H7 3:31
H8 3:08
H9 3:55

But there r others depending on HD supension or F250 F350 ETC.


Tranny Codes r

M manual 5spd (mazda in F150)
E auto E40d
G Auto C6
U Auto 4R70w 4spd
C Manual 5 Spd ZF (F250 + trucks)
W 5spd HD manual

Motors Y= 4.9
N=5.0 302
H=5.8 351
R=5.8 351 Hipo
c=5.9 460
F= 7.3 Di

Need anything else let me know I have stacks of this stuff I printed off I just have to dig .
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top