Shell Strength

KCMav713

New Member
I am planning on bolting a luggage rack onto the roof of my 88 Bronco. I would like to put the spare tire into the roofrack to clean up the rear of the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the rear shell can support the weight of the basket, rack, spare, and possible some luggage? Thanks
Tim
 
I have seen it done but I am not sure that I would trust it. Also depends on how the rack mounts to the top and what size spare tire you have?
 
the spare is a full size 37" spare. The rack will be bolted to the shell. I shaved off the water rails, so it has to get bolted. I dont mind putting holes in the shell.
Thanks Tim
 
Remember to use rubber washers and some silicone caulking to help prevent leakage.

I sat on it, and I'm ~260-280 lbs., so I'd say it's okay. I don't know that I'd stand on it, though. It has to be able to hold some weight. One thing, You will probably never be able to go into a parking garage, although with 37" tires, and I'm guessing a lift, you probably won't anyway. But I had my CB antennas hitting when I went into one. :D
 
I heard 200 lbs. max for the roof. Someone did a write up once on installing a roof rack on a Bronco. They had 3 supports for their rack, one on the cab roof and two on the shell, and had no problems with their rack.
 
I have a yakima rack bolted through the shell of a 95 and have had up to 5 kayaks 150-200 lbs. at 75-80 mph and had no problems.
 
Hey David, could you incorporate an internal rollcage in to the luggage rack? Or do you have any internal rollcages available. For reference, its an '88 XLT.
Thanks Tim
P.S. do you have a website or catalog of metal products you have on your bronco
 
Sorry, Tim, that I took so long to reply. I can build a rollcage, to accomodate the cargo rack, but you're going to need to be prepared to drill 1.75-2" holes in the roof. Now, while I CAN do this, I haven't had a chance to do this yet, so I need to find the proper grommets, that will work the best, for what I'm trying to accomplish.

For pictures of what I've done, they're here - http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=775 I don't have a specific website yet, so this page will show other general pictures as well.

As a note to yourself, I do this building, on a part-time basis, since I do have a FT job, so I'll need a little extra time. Also, I currently have two orders to fill, and a possible two more, keeping me busy until early next month

I'll send a PM with more details
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top