Rear Window Probs.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hogg
  • Start date Start date
H

Hogg

Guest
I have a problem with the rear window on my 84' Bronc. When I bought the truck a little over a year ago the rear window didn't work and hasn't since. Now that I have a little extra time I want to fix it. The problem is that I can't get the window down so that I can let the tailgate down to work on both. Is there a way to do this?
HOGG :)>-
 
If you can take a shop 12V batt into the back with you.....open the access panel, and use some probes, or alligator clips (in the connector for the window motor) and connect the battery to the window motor directly to see if you can get it to go down that way.....if it dont work the first time, just switch the wires......it should go down.

If it dont go down and you DO NOT hear the motor running, the motor itself could be shot......in any case get back here to the forum and let us know what happened after you put 12 volts directly to the window motor.
 
Good sugggestion from Streetgang44. If that works, you have a connector problem. Corrosion usually does the old connectors in. I have had the wires pulll right out of a connector on mine due to corrosion. infact I had the same problem you do and it turned out to be the ground wire for the motor in the connector on the left side of the rear cross member. Another place that has a connector that corrodes on the 84 is behind the left tail light.

Good luck, :)>-
 
You can also look for a pinched/broken/exposed wire in the harness where the TG closes on the left side. The repeated opening and closing of the TG causes the insulation to fail, and then its just a matter of time until one of the wires itself fails in some way.

Another likely suspect is the safety switch that prevents you from opening the TG with the glass up, or closing the glass with the TG down. This is VERY easily bypassed by just jumping out the switch at the connector.

But like I said.....FIRST get in there and see if your motor will work.
 
I too had this problem and still do...that was the only way that I could get my window down. I did break my rear window which cost me 290.00 because you have to buy new-in Kansas the law says that junkyards have to smash all windows in cars and trucks they receive. So you cannot buy them used from them. Jackasses. I hate Kansas. [-(
 
i had the same thing. i replace the wires in the tg, but it only went down, not up. i figured it was the dash switch, but i had no luck finding one at the wrecker, so i bought a new one from ford. now it works, even after repeated submergings
 
Hey Cowboydan...would your window work with by turning the key? Mine won't even do that much.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top