Rear End Noises?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FLYFSHIN
  • Start date Start date
F

FLYFSHIN

Guest
I noticed recently when I make a turn after a stop, there's a funny vibration (maybe more like grinding or something) coming from the back end. If I go straight, there are no noises, only in a turn. If I coast through a turn, no noise. Only when I accelarate while turning after a stop does it happen. Kinda wierd. I dont think it sounds like a rear end problem, my buddy thinks maybe my rear brakes are having problems? Help...
 
I would suspect a wheel bearing is going out. I wuold jack up the axle so that both wheels are off tthe ground, and try turning each wheel and see if it will move up and down. Watch for any play in the axle, driveshaft, supension, etc.
 
I dropped it off at the shop (again). I thought that maybe I had a engine mount going bad, they confirmed it was so. They said my rear end noises were due to the fact the the diff lube was as thin as water. They changed it with new synthetic shit...we'll see how that ends up working out. The mechanic said I might need to give it a few days to work into the seals and clutches, and if it does not work we will need to replace the rear diff. clutches.
 
Now i really need help. The truck went in today for the bad motor mount. However, it's still shuddering around corners when I accelerate from a stop/rolling stop. They checked the wheel bearings, U joints, rear diff, transfer case...he's at a loss where to go with it next. He said he was going to disconnect the rear driveshaft, lock it in 4x4, and see if it still does it; just to verify that it's not the transfer case or tranny. Next he thinks we should replace the rear diff clutches if it does not do it....I hate to just start throwing parts at it....any ideas??
 
The plot thickens. He took the rear driveshaft off, and the vibration/noise stopped. He wants to tear off the rear hubs and look at the brakes and bearings next...i dont think it could be brakes, because they were still braking and whatnot even with the rear wheels disconnected...could be a bad bearing I suppose. Any other ideas?
 
i would be almost sure that it is the rear clutches. anyone that i have seen go bad makes that same concern. i work at a ford dealership and right now ford is having all kinds of problems with the new explorer rears. the problem is the cluches and have the same effect that you are having. if the fluid was broke down enough and there was not enough friction modifier than the cluches will fail.
 
I think that's the problem- the rear axle. Listening to the new comments, I had the exact same thing happen on a Ford Crown Victoria, and it was the rear differential. Some folks have had problems with the axle housing cracking, clutches wearing out, the housing being too sloppy or wallowed out, etc. Start looking for a replacement 8.8" while you investigate the problem some more.
 
He said that the rear end fluid was clean, but like water, which backs up your clutch theory. He replaced all the fluid with Synpower 75w-90, and added friction modifier...he seemed pretty sure that would fix the problem. He said it might take awhile to work into the clutches...does that make sense?
 
I've been looking online for the diff clutches, and have been unable to find them. Does anyone have any recommendations for replacing the stock clutches, if that's what the issue is?
 
I have the same issue right now except mine just got way worse. I am afraid to even look in my diff, the vehicle has been used to launch boats and jetskis the last 10 years.
 
well the cluches are made like the ones that are in auto trannys and if the fluid breaks down and the cluches wear then the material that they are made from might have worn off. best thing to do is pull the carrier and take out the cluches and replace them. there not that expensive.

Now if teh cluches look good take them and soak them in just fiction modifer for about 30 mins and then reinstall.( this is a process that goes of when puttin gin brand new cluches.)
 
He tore the rear end apart...the pass. side diff clutch was TOASTED. It was burned pretty good, the washers were grooved, and the pin was as well. There were slight wear marks on the diff. cage, but not enough that he was concerned. He ordered a new clutch for it...should be in Wednesday. Now to go without my truck for a few days...ugh.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top