Rear Axle Swap

highboy73

FORDing thru life
customer has 78 3/4 1 wheel peeler that has seen to many miles.also has rear axle and springs from 85 extended cab 3/4 ton.I haven't seen the axle to take measurements cause it's a good drive from here but does anyone know if it will fit?
the old 60 had a 3.30 gear and the 85 rear has 4.10 i think that is why he mentioned it.
thanks
 
Not sure if I follow here - a "customer" has a '78 3/4ton pickup, that originally, had a rear D60, but wants to swap it out for a rear D60 and springs, from an '85? And that's because the '85 has the 4.10 gears? At least, that how I read it. It'll be a direct swap out, but I can't recall if the pinion yokes are the same size. IF they aren't, don't go swapping them out w/o new crush sleeves, or anything else of that nature... but I'm sure you already knew that
 
sorry about the labeling of people.a gentleman came into my small repair shop and asked if i would swap the rearaxle from an 85 3/4 ton,which is not a dana 60 into his 78 2-wheel drive 3/4 ton. the 78 has a dana 60 with 3.30 gears and the 85 has 4.10 gears(not a dana 60)and he would also like to change the springs also.
the replacement axle is a good distance from me and i wanted to be sure if it would fit into his truck before i picked it up.
 
If the '85s rear axle isn't a D60, then what is it? It's definitely not a 9", and I doubt it's a D70, or a Sterling 10.25" - IIRC, those weren't available until '86. Hmm, seems like some research is in order
 
i have no idea but i was told that it wasn't a dana 60?was there another rear available in that year?like i said i haven't seen it yet.
supposedly the lug nuts are alot bigger and the cover is differant.
i don't know alot about those 80's f-series except for the few that come in for repairs and most of them are 1/2 ton
 
If the cover is different, then it might be a 10.25" Sterling. Whether or not it will completely swap in, I can't answer that - not without the same amount of online research that you could do anyway
 
Actually, I still am - trying to find out if the 10.25" and the D60 use the same size yokes, and what the spring perch measurements are
 
Short answer is - yes, the '85 axle will fit the '78 - that much I did know. I've been trying to find out if they both use the same size axle yokes, and to find out if the '85s axle is a D60, or a D70. The 10.25" wasn't availble until '86, and had the VSS, to work with the EFI engine/computer. Ask your customer-person to check for casting numbers on the diff housing. That will answer 98% of your question... and should make it easy to find out if the Ujoints are the same for both axles.
 
i'm going to have it here thursday or friday,i'm not quite sure about the rear being a factory installed in the 85 just that is what i was told.I'm no genius just trying to get some info.the u joint for the 85 measures 3 7/8 across and the caps are 1 1/16
i had the driveshaft out of the truck here.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top