Rear Axle Identification

challenger6pak

New Member
Ok. I feel kind of stupid asking this question, but I don't know what rear axle I have. I just got the bronco.

It is a 67 with a 289 3 speed manual. It has 3.50 gears, 28 spline axles, and a third member just like the 9inch. Is it a 9 inch? What else could it be?

How can I identify?

thanks,
matt
 
There shouild be a tag on the rear or possibly a vin sticker on the drivers door that might give trhe ID for the rear, if it hasn't been changed that is.
Regardless, the tag is prolly still on it, get the #s and someone here can prolly tell you for sure :)
 
No tag on the axle, the vin plate is long gone.

What other axles could it have possibly come with. Just the 8.8?
Is that also a third member axle?

Sorry, I am a mopar guy, this is my first Ford.

thanks,
matt
 
All EBs have 9" 28 spline rear diffs from the factory.
GVWR options could give you;
different size brakes
different size axle bearings.
 
Ok, in my Ford Service Manual it says that the rear ring gear diameter is either 8-3/4 or 9 in. Are both of these ring gears considered a 9in axle?

If I have the 8-3/4 ring can I switch to a 9 inch ring?

thanks,
matt
 
What year is the manual for?? All EBs came with the 9" rear diff.
No other rear axle options were available.
 
Hmmm, missed the "Ford" part of your service manual post.... sorry.
I have no idea why they would mention an 8 3/4 ring gear for the rear, neither of my manuals do. Only the nine inch is listed for the EB.
Your truck would not have had a vin plate/ sticker on the door jamb.
It would have been on the glovebox door, or in the case of the 66 and some early 67's the vin was located just above the e-brake pedal on the kick panel.
 
look at the bolts that hold the backing plate for the brakes on if they are like a 3/8"stud it has the big bearing rear end.
 
They never put a big bearing under an EB until like 74 or 75. A 60's vintage EB will have a 9" in the rear with most likely a Dana 30 up front. If the tag on the 9" is gone and so is the VIN tag, then there really isnt a way to tell what the gears are without opening it up. But I bet it is a 3.50 ratio.
 
Someone could have swapped in a Ford 8". I don't know the size of the ring gear but you most likely have a 9". 8.8's didn't come around until 86 and they don't have a removable third member
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top