ranger rear axle help

Cartel

New Member
I am looking for info for a 1989 ford ranger, 2.9l, 5spd, 4wd.
The rear axle cover tag says:
S310B
73 A75 8M07

I need to replace this with a 8.8" style.
Anyone know any rear ends that will fit from other fords?
I belive the rearend is a 7.5" and would like 8.8 but any will do if you have a same

:(
 
Cartel, I think that is the 7.5" rear, the gear ratio may be 3.73:1. The first 3 in that ratio is probably hidden under the bolt holding the tag. You can compare it to the front tag, as that should also list 3.73 or similar. You can swap either the Ford 8.8" or the Ford 9" rear axles, but you'll likely be better off with the 8.8 with a speed sensor (VSS) and anti-lock brakes (RABS) if you want to keep it streetable. The Ford 9" is stronger, in my opinion, but will likely be a bit wider. An 8.8 out an Explorer or Bronco II may be the best overall swap.
 
Hey all, I replaced the rear diff with a used one.
My buddy didnt want to pay too much and we needed 1 quick so I found one at a wrecker.
It went in good, had a sway bar and over-loader leafs we left bolted on and swapped the whole thing.

The rear end has a howl on acceleration I suppose a carrier bearing again.
It also has the 9" brakes vs the original 10" but he had 0 brakes left before and now the Ebrake works so no biggie.
There is still a vibration on acceleration above 60kmh.
I replaced all the u joints and the steady bearing and ran the shafts on a lathe.
Replaced the transfer case since the rear transfer-case pinion nut sheared off from dumping the clutch or something.
Now still a vibration, it can only be the used rear end I put in but the pinion feels tight.

I cant believe Ford put a pinto rear end in a 4x4. And it also has the "small yokes". Why? :((
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top