Rack Recommendations

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jes4Kix
  • Start date Start date
J

Jes4Kix

Guest
Simple enough question; What do you guys use to haul all the extra gear? Looking for recommendations on roof racks mostly, the receiver type racks look like some serious drag ass to me for wooded mountain trails, nor are they something I would want to leave on the truck for any length of time. I'm sure the receiver racks have their place, beach, desert or prairie runs but I'm looking for something up top. I have looked at Yakima towers and bars then adding a nice cargo basket. I found some nice cargo baskets here;

http://www.infomagic.net/~blackout/gallery3_2/index.htm

I'm not affiliated just like what I see. Gutter mount? Bolt on? Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jes4Kix
 
Thant's a little more fabing than I want to do to my Bronco. Seats, Racks, bumpers, winch mounts, compressors, front and rear receivers are on the done or to do list but adding a set of doors?? hummm...... guess I'll have to pass on that idea.

Nice truck by the way!

When the dust settles just make sure you land on all four.
Jes4Kix
 
I had thought about adding a roof rack to mine as well, but I have serious doubts about the fiberglass roof's ability to hold a load under shock, for any extended period of time. I'm going to be buliding me a hitch-mounted carrier, and possibly a smaller roof-mounted rack. The roof mount will be over the cab, and won't use the gutter mounts - I'm a cheap bastsard, and can't find any in my price range
 
I heard that cap is reinforced with steel, but never cut one to prove it. I have a rack but dont intend to load it heavy, just to be safe.

You can also make a shelf behind the back seat. This keeps things from getting stacked up. Quick acsess through the glass things you dont use all the time get through the tail gate.

A frame with legs and a peice of plywood. It will go in and out easy.
 
Yeah, it has a couple steel ribs, but it's not lined with it. The center of the roof is only about 1/8" thick, with it being thicker around the windows - which is where most other roof racks are bolted too. That's still alot, to depend on fiberglass for, IMO
 
the hard top the bronco is very capable of holding weight, mine held two people, a total of 355 lbs, for over an hour, and even while making a hard "thumping" movement ;)
 
I got a brainfart this afternoon, about one similar to another guy's rack, on another Bronco board. Kinda like this one -

getfile.php


Only a little different... the uprights will be angled to follow the cab lines, and the rack will be 51 x 78" - more than enough to hold a set of tires, hi-lift jack, lights, cb antenna, and gas cans
 
dave,

that makes sence. side rails a little closer to the truck. I would like to see one if you give it a try.
 
well no, no pictures! lol, sorry, just two cups of hot cocoa from chevron, a offroad trail leading to a field and some barry white! lol (make all of this a surprise and she'll love it!) "WARNING SOME SLOW DANCING MAY BE REQUIRED FIRST!!! I'VE PULLED THIS MORE SEVERAL TIMES AND WORK EVERYTIME, BUY A TWO PERSON SLEEPING BAG FROM WAL-MART(it'lld be gone after a while).
 
I'd also like a roof rack to be able to haul a couple of ladders. Does anyone make something like that?

Lou
 
Get a rack that goes in your reciever hitch thats what i have, check the picture on my profile you might be able to see it
 
I RESIDE IN NORTHERN ARIZONA AND I USE (A LOT!) MY RECIEVER RACK.
ALTHOUGH I HAVE INSTALLED A RECIEVER TO THE CENTER OF THE REAR BUMPER.MOVING THE LICENSE PLATE UP ON THE TAIL GATE.
THE RACK SITS HIGH AND CLOSE--NEVER HAD IT DRAG--YET.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top