Questions about 460 conversion......

tilted78f150

New Member
Okay. I am puting a '77 460 in my '78 F150. I have some questions, hopefully you guys have the answers!


1)What fly wheels can I use? I am keeping the 4sp that was against my 351M.

2)And what starter would I use for that flywheel?

I think I have everything else figured out, but if anyone has any tips or hints,that would be awesome. [-o<
 
tilted78f150 said:
Okay. I am puting a '77 460 in my '78 F150. I have some questions, hopefully you guys have the answers!
1)What fly wheels can I use? I am keeping the 4sp that was against my 351M.

2)And what starter would I use for that flywheel?

I think I have everything else figured out, but if anyone has any tips or hints,that would be awesome. [-o<
[snapback]16260[/snapback]​

if you can find as 460 flywheel a 390 can be used. if i remember right just use a 460 starter.
you do know you'll need mounts for a 4x4 for the 460. there is no factory 4x4 460 mount the site below will help on the swap
www.LandLproducts.com can also help.
 
ive looked at a few 390 flywheels and the center hole is to small and the bolt pattern was different is there a specific year or what ??? let me know

thanx for the reply i was starting to think this was a deserted forum nobody replys to anything................
 
tilted78f150 said:
ive looked at a few 390 flywheels and the center hole is to small and the bolt pattern was different is there a specific year or what ??? let me know

thanx for the reply i was starting to think this was a deserted forum nobody replys to anything................
[snapback]16272[/snapback]​

far as i know all year 390's will work. I'll do some checking and let you know 100% for sure.

This site is new, not many have picked up on it yet
 
Txquadhunter said:
far as i know all year 390's will work. I'll do some checking and let you know 100% for sure.

This site is new, not many have picked up on it yet
[snapback]16274[/snapback]​

here is what i found out. any 360-390 flywheel will fit any 460. but 86+ have a diff. balanece. So your 460 to work with the 390 flywheel will need to be pre-86 to balance right.

If 86+ a mech. shop should be able rebalance it for you fairly cheap.
 
clap.gif
i owe you one of these !!! ha ha ha

thanx for the info

im new to this whole FORD thing it only took my wife 8 yrs to convert me from chevy.... i will be posting pictures of my project soon .... this is my first 4x4 and its turning out to be alot of fun......

thanx for the reply i will have to remember to post more questions ... it definatley beats scratching your head for a couple of hours !!!!!!!!

thanx,
 
since you say that a 360-390 flywheel will work what tooth count do i need
any info will help !!! youve alredy helped alot ..... now i just need your help a little more .......

THANX,
 
tilted78f150 said:
since you say that a 360-390 flywheel will work what tooth count do i need
any info will help !!! youve alredy helped alot ..... now i just need your help a little more .......

THANX,
[snapback]16278[/snapback]​

I read some place the 360-390 use a 164? tooth count and 460 is 185? count. but either count will work.

The ones i've been around using the 360-390's didn't say what count. I just know it was whatever count flywheel they found first.
 
thanx for all the replys it really helped out . i actually found a 460 flywheel on ebay that has been "0" balanced and resurfaced for $61.00 shipped to my door..

so once again thanx,
 
tilted78f150 said:
thanx for all the replys it really helped out . i actually found a 460 flywheel on ebay that has been "0" balanced and resurfaced for $61.00 shipped to my door..

so once again thanx,
[snapback]16314[/snapback]​

sounds like ya found a good deal.
 
Txquadhunter said:
if you can find as 460 flywheel a 390 can be used. if i remember right just use a 460 starter.
you do know you'll need mounts for a 4x4 for the 460. there is no factory 4x4 460 mount the site below will help on the swap
www.LandLproducts.com can also help.
[snapback]16271[/snapback]​
you also have to have the right oil pan like one out of a van because the humps are differant
 
Eagleforce said:
you also have to have the right oil pan like one out of a van because the humps are differant
[snapback]16463[/snapback]​
When I swapped in my 429 (same as a 460 but with shorter stroke) I used mounts from L&L. It was 12 years ago, but as I recall I used the flywheel which was already on the 429, but changed the tailshaft to fit the tranny. Then again, mine is a C-6 where yours is a stick - so this may not apply. At any rate, the difference will be AWESOME! Have fun! (That old 351M will make a good fishing anchor - which is about all they were good for in the first place!) <_<
 
CaptainR said:
When I swapped in my 429 (same as a 460 but with shorter stroke) I used mounts from L&L. It was 12 years ago, but as I recall I used the flywheel which was already on the 429, but changed the tailshaft to fit the tranny. Then again, mine is a C-6 where yours is a stick - so this may not apply. At any rate, the difference will be AWESOME! Have fun! (That old 351M will make a good fishing anchor - which is about all they were good for in the first place!) <_<
[snapback]16529[/snapback]​
One more thought - I also changed out the oil pan to one from a van, also used the van dipstick & tube. While I was at it I also put in a high volume oil pump.
 
CaptainR said:
One more thought - I also changed out the oil pan to one from a van, also used the van dipstick & tube. While I was at it I also put in a high volume oil pump.
[snapback]16530[/snapback]​
i'll tell you this whole conversion has been an adventure , the only major problem i came across was that you need to use a 302 pilot bearing not the one for the 460
(THAT SUCKED) thanks for all the info i will post pics when its finished !!!!!!
:D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top