Question about the F-250

bebop_man

New Member
Not really an F-series guy, got a Bronco instead. But I'm working on a project and trying to see what I can use as a donor vehicle.

Did the f-250 come with a straight axle Dana 44?

My current project is a '77 early Bronco that I'm working on for the little lady. For her convenience, I want to put on automatic hubs and a push button 4x4. the furthest off road it'll go is the gravel driveway of her parents farm, but come wintertime here in the hills, it'll get pretty snotty. I've found a BW 1356 transfer case, but so far have had no luck finding what I need for the automatic hubs. I see replacement hubs all the time, but there's no kit to actually install them on a vehicle not already equipped for them.

I know the 1991 MY of the F-250 introduced the automatic hubs. And that the F-250 have the straight axle, rather than the twin-traction beam setup of the f-150's and Bronco.

I'm hoping I can find a Dana 44 front axle from a 1991 F-250 w/automatic hubs. But I have no idea if such a critter even exists.
 
I'm not really sure if the dana 44 existed under the f-250. i know its used in 1/2 tons and broncos. maybe someone else out there has the answer.
 
F-250s can be with both D-44 and D-50 TTB front ends, as far as I know Ford did away with the strait axles in the F-250 from 80-97. I am pretty sure that most D-44 use the same hubs so you might be able to get auto hubs from a Bronco, F-150, F-250(w/D-44), or I hate to say it possibly a chev.

Good, that's what I wanted to hear. I don't really want to transplant a D44 from a '91+ to the '77. But I do want to disassemble one so I can see what it'll all take to make auto hubs work.
 
F-250s can be with both D-44 and D-50 TTB front ends, as far as I know Ford did away with the strait axles in the F-250 from 80-97. I am pretty sure that most D-44 use the same hubs so you might be able to get auto hubs from a Bronco, F-150, F-250(w/D-44), or I hate to say it possibly a chev.
I thought the F-250's / 350's were still straight axles, and the f-150's / Broncos were TTB? Just the F-350's were straight axle for those years?
 
All F series made from 84-97 that were threequarter ton and below had the TTB (IFS) front suspension except for the heavy duty ones ( 8600 gvw and greater). Those ones came with either a dana 44 monobeam or a dana 60 straight front axle. 90 percent of them were in 4.10 gearing, so you may beable to find one that you can just change the gearing. The dana 44 monobeam and 60 straight axles came with or without autolockers. Hope that this helps.
 
Hmmm.... My 95 F-250 HD 8800 Gvw has a TTB D-50. I Know I don't know every thing, but the only post 80,pre 99 monobeam front end I've seen were D-60 in F-350. I have herd of special order fleet 250s with straight axles, but never heard of any thing off of the sales lot. Guru what are you running up front?

There is a misconseption that the D60 was a monobeam. The only monobeam that I know of is the D44 which has pivot points on the ends of the axel where the spindle connects. The D60 a true straight front axel. I am running a D60 in the front of mine. When I got mine new I did have to special order the straight axel due to the 250's only coming with either a d44 or d50 ifs (ttb) front axels. Before 92 there was the concept of keeping the d44 monobeam but there is too many issues with them. The d44 monobeam is basically a similar version of the militarys 2 and a half ton rockwell. If you dont know what those look like at the spindels let me know and I can shoot you a pic of one so you can have an idea of what a true monobeam looks like. My 94 250 HD is rated for 9600 gvw with getting the special order front axel. I will never go back to an ifs (ttb) front end again after having the straight axel.
 
How does your ride height compare to standard F-250s and 350s. I would like to swap in the straight axle, looking at my brother's 350 it look like it could be a simple bolt in swap using 350 leafs, stearing linkage, and panhard bar.
my ride height isnt any different. i do have the 350 springs and coils on mine for the added wieght rating, but thats about all that changes the truck.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top