Power Steering

  • Thread starter Thread starter biggnat79
  • Start date Start date
B

biggnat79

Guest
Just put a new power steering pump in my 1990 Bronco 5.0 and now the serpentine belt slightly slipping off of the crankshaft pulley. I replaced the automatic belt tensioner, and put a new serpentine belt on, but I am still having the same problem. The pulley is on flush, and everything was put on exactly how it came off and torqued to specifications. Any suggestions on what the problem may be? Id hate to pay someone to fix it after I already put so much work into it.
 
look for a bad pulley in the system or something not inline. also be you H. balncer to make sure the rubber insurt riing is still good not causing the crank pulley to wobble. don't stick your hands down in there and bump the starter at the selaniod so you can watch to see where the belt starts moving over.
 
Thanks for the advice. After 3 more attempts at installing the pulley by hand, I got pissed off, pulled the pump out and gave it a piece of my mind. Then I bought a new one and used a friends torque wrench to put the new pulley on and everything is running smooth. Thanks again for the help.
 
The original problem was a leak in the powersteering pump. I replaced it and when I put the belt back on it was coming off of the crankshaft pulley about a quarter inch. I replaced the belt tensioner, the belt, and put a new powersteering pulley on. It turned out I just couldnt get the pulley all the way flush by hand. I pulled everything back out and used a friends torque wrench to put the pulley on and everything lined up and is working perfectly. Now I just need to fix the exhaust and figure out what is causing the sporadic idle and I will be able to start driving it regularly again.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top