power steering box

xsbronco

New Member
I don't think it's normal but could be wrong. I was checking things out on my 79' bronco and when I was checking out steering issues found that my steering box moves when in action. Not like its loose, but in my opinion, like the frame is flexing. After inspecting for cracks (as best I could with out cleaning area) there was nothing I could tell was the reason. I am running 38" tires but at a stand still that shouldn't matter, just surface contact right? Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I don't know if it's normal. Oh, top moves 1/4"-3/8".
 
Steering box moving a 1/4"-3/8" when you turn the wheels is not a good sign. With 38" tires, you are going to break someting real quick. With the size of your tires, you should install a ram steering assist system. This set up will "assist" your gearbox with the movement of your steering linkage. Right now, you are over-working your gearbox and the attachment points to the frame, this is why it is moving. You may have already cracked the frame and can't tell. I would remove your gearbox from the frame, clean the area up real good and inspect it for cracks.
 
Thanks Ziggy. I will be doing so. Hey, I don't know if you get it much but thanks for fighting for us!! Also, After posting this I went out and played some more and found power steering fluid leeking from the adjustment screw on top of gear box. That can't be good.
 
38's on 1/2 ton suspension what did you think was gonna happen?you definately need to do some work.once the chit starts it never stops one thing after another.
 
So is this gonna be a 60 thing? I bought the rig this way and it's my first so no doubt there is a lot for me to learn. I was up for it and new that for the price was worth it. so, if I want to stay this big or get bigger is to the 60's? what else should change?
 
alot of folks might disagree with me but i'd say yeah.
of course ziggy said the assist ram install ,and you could make or buy a rienforcement plate,and no i don't think that fluid coming out the screw is good,you oughta get it checked out,good luck and don't worry these guy's here can help with anything.
 
I ran 38's on my 1/2 for a long time.....No problems,matter of fact the only reason it got retired was the back frame rails rotted away....make sure your track bar is tight and the bushings are good,then look at the frame rail just behind the steering box,normal place for them to crack with big tires or small,also check just in front of it....chevy trucks have the same weakness,but theres a kit you can for those.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top