Power Mods?

mudunit77f250

New Member
ok, going to drop in a 400 and it will be in my mud truck (36x12.5x16.5 TSL's) ive already got long tube headers, dual exhaust ready to go. so what are some other mods i should be looking at for some good HP/ torque gains. what style air filter assy do you guys reccomend/ like?? i want to get rid of the restrictive stock housing. I just saw the MSD ignition post and would atleast buy a new coil to try and keep the spark hot. i would love to do a cam, but i def dont have the money for that and wont for a long time.
 
the 351m/400's love to breathe, Since ya got header end covered. look around for a good 4bbl intake. it'll really wake one up. I see good used 4bbl intakes quite a bit cheap.
 
HOLLY CARB. K&N FILTER. Not the cheapest but it's the best. Buy it once and be done. holly makes a very nice carb, The truck avenger like the street avenger but made for off road.
 
my only concerns about the 4barrel carb is that on inclines ( powerlines) they are more prone to stall out. the 2bbl is "better" b/c they have a larger flaot bowl, and its harder to lose the gas from the float bowl...... will that truck avenger carb fix that issue? [-o< i dont want to be stalling out climbing small rock ledges.... and i dont have a manual choke either, so i cant set the choke open a lil bit to keep it running in the tough spots. i plan on buying one of those 14" round filter housing assemblies..... $-)
 
I've got 4 barrel carb on all my trucks, havent had the stall problem with mine. I would recommend NOT using holly carbs(personal opinion) I recommend edelbrock carbs.
 
If you are going to own a holley buy 2, this away when one breaks you have a spare in youre truck already.Then you can rebuild the other and start over again.
 
Ya the holly truck avenger is built for off road never had any trouble.

as for the edelbrock/carter always had trouble. with high speed off road.
very hard to fine tune.

But thats just me.
:D
 
As far as the Edelbrock's go I've done quite a bit of work to mine and finally got the right combo.It run's like a raped ape now.
 
Definately a 4bbl intake and carb.Don't go over 600cfm with a stock engine.I run edelbrock without any problems.
Just my thoughts
Bill
 
ok, ive weighed some of the other views that ive gotten, and it sound like, one of those if it aint broke dont fix it type things, so heres my plan, wheel it a lil with the stock 2bbl, and if i dont mind Stall issues that i have wheeling the 2bbl, then stick with a higher cfm 2bbl..... im going to keep an eye on the truck avenger carbs as a guy on NEOW is putting one on his 360 once he puts it in, and he said he would keep me updated on how it works for him.
 
Just FYI....
I noticed you were on a budget, but I would like to add that I just got done rebuilding my 400 and the only new parts I actually bought were the pistons, rings and bearings....I got everything else off of EBAY (mostly used stuff). I've got 10:1 Badgers and a used cam (paid $20 for cam and lifters), I've got less than $500 in the motor (including honing, new cam bearing, and cleanup on block/heads). These motors come from the factory with (arguably) the best flowing heads to ever come out of Detroit....the only thing they need is a boost from 7.9:1 compression and MAN WILL THEY MAKE TORQUE AND HP. They've actually got the longest stroke of any Ford motor ever made...
rlnbreloder
 
I recommend installing the Edlebrock intake as well. It will take both the 4 BBL and 2 BBL carb, so you have the option of going back and forth. I have one on my 79 351M and it gives better performance through all bands of power.
 
I did a complete rebuild of my 351m with an eldebrock performer intake & 600 cfm carb ,& new cam (nothing too radical) unbelievable how much better it runs. easier on gas than the 2bbl if i stay out of it. $ 500-600 for new parts.
 
I have a 400 in my truck and first off a k&n is the best as far as im concerned because you can buy cleaning kits and re-use them. sencondly as far as proformance mods go i have cam,heads,headers, and definately go with a D.U.I distrubutor , they put more volts out than a MSD and use livewire sparkplug wires, they work very well with a D.U.I and if ur doing that it makes a lot of sense to upgrade your sparkplugs as well
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top