Pa System

texastrucker

New Member
I put a pa speaker in my cb radio and mounted it under the hood just so i could have somethin fun to play with goin down the road. :o) but after i had it hooked up i noticed that it is not nearly as loud as others, such as police cars ones. And when turning the pa volume anywhere passed half way it starts making a high pitched scream... at about the loudness i want it to be, but i cant talk then... i dont understand whats goin on! Any suggestions and comments would help




Turner

:)>-
 
What you are getting is feedback. This is a common problem with "PA" systems. The main cause is the microphone being too close to the speaker. Another problem that you might have is the "PA" is coming through the CB speaker as well as the outside speaker causing the feedback. Did you install the speaker by wiring it inside the CB or did you use the plug that should be on the back of the unit?
On the back of the unit there should be 2 plugs, one marked "PA" and one marked "EXT. SPK". If you have in the the second one do you have a "talk back" feature built into the "CB" i.e. when you talk into the microphone in CB mode, do you hear yourself?
Yet another problem could be the speaker you are using. Is it a true "Outside, weatherproof PA speaker"?
If not let me know, I will have to look but I think I have something that will work for you. I have had a problem lately trying to find stuff I know I have that I want to sell so give me a few days to look.
 
It is in the PA jack, not the ext speaker, that was the first thing i checked :) . But i did have it wired up to where it was only about 3 feet from the microphone.. maybe this is causing the interference :-" , lol i shoulda known better. But it is a true outdoor Marine/Car pa speaker, waterproof and the whole works...




Turner

:)>-
 
The final in the radio may be going on the PA side. If you have a friend that will let you borrow his / hers, try it out to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't then you may have bad wires and or a bad speaker.
 
A lot of CB shops run a resistor from the PA to the EXT speaker on the circuit board. This is so you can have talkback with a regular speaker. If you use a PA or talkback speaker it will squeal. Open the case, and look at the board on the bottom, you may find a resistor soldered across the PA and EXT circuit, if so, simply cut it out. Problem fixed.
 
IVE DONE IT! it works, the wire i was using was to small and was making to much resistance, once i tried some thicker wiring its LOUD and im PROUD!! I always wanted mty truck to be as loud as the police cars, but now... i think its LOUDER. thank yall for all your help and helping me be more obnoxious! :)) ;)




Turner

:)>-
 
Glad to hear you got it working. All I can say no is be careful around the cops, they might not like it too much.
 
ya i know, but half the time they cant find out where its comin from
clap.gif
, but i dotn think ill be taking that chance, im keepin my cb lol. Its real fun goin to friends houses that you havent seen in a while and yellin over hte pa actin like a cop... its made some good laughs a few times :-" :D/




Turner

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top