Oil Pressure

grande_guerre

grande mondiale
i have extremely low oil pressure in my 302. It's reading just above the low marker. I changed my oil and filter yesterday when it was reading low. I figured it was just the filter being full of crud or something. But the new filter and oil hasn't changed the pressure. Is it the oil pump?
 
If it just happened recently, the sending unit on the engine may have gone out. Check that out first. It's really just an idiot-type sender, not a true gauge. On high-mileage motors, the main bearings will get worn enough to cause low pressure, too. If it was the oil pump, you wouldn't go very far before hearing some serious knockin'! This is what happened to my Bronco before I bought it, as well as another Ford I used to own. At 170-180K miles, the oil pump just quit, and then there was zero oil pressure. Installing a new one doesn't help much, since the metal filings from the bearings will kill a new pump just a fast. At that point, it's time for an overhaul. Just keep a close watch on the oil level and keep listening for any knocking sounds coming from the motor.
 
all right. Thanks. I guess I should overhaul it prior to moving to phoenix, eh? Oh well. I also have a new noise also. Whenever I hit the brakes, a tap occurs. And when I'm going 15 to 25 mph, a rattling noise comes from the same area. I can't pinpoint the noise since the car has to be in gear and moving when this occurs. The rattling goes away when I touch the brakes. Any ideas?
 
TRY ADDING 50 WEIGHT KENDALL OIL,AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FILTER THAT DOSEN T ALLOW OIL TO FLOW BACK,ON ME 351 ITS A FLA 1,AND ALSO ON MY 351,THE OIL SENDER IS JUST NEXT TO THE FILTER,REPLACE I QT. OF OIL WITH LUCAS OIL ADDITIVE,AND ALONG WITH THE NO FLO BACK FILTER AND THE 50 WT. OIL,PRESSURE WILL BE HIGHER. THE SENDER IS ABOUT $5 AT AUTOZONE/

GOOD LUCK BJ
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top