Well in my introduction on the newbie forun I told the saga of my first (current) truck, a 1991 F250 4WD with a 300ci, 5speed, and a 7.5' fisher plow. I've repaired it to the point of only needing to put the fuel tank in to run, and some minor electrical hacking to make it inspectable. The 300 has some plugs rusted solid into the head, and really needs to be rebuilt. After weighing the costs and gains I found a 351W from an 87 F250 carb to pan with mount brackets and all of the accesories (accesories might not be usable, but will make good cores) at a junkyard for $250. My plan was to rebuild that and drop it into the 91 (after adding a regulator and cranking the pressure down for the carb). My Father then proceeds to tell me how the 79 F250 4WD with a 351M and C6 he currently owns, was intended for me when he was done cleaning up his property with it... and he's about done cleaning up. The truck is a little underpowered, but is overall in great shape. Then I find a screaming deal on a 79 F250 2WD, C6, 460 4bbl... The truck is in pretty poor shape interior wise, but overall not bad for a running parts truck... What should I do? (I know poor me, and yes I have outbuildings to do the "hide from the wife shuffle" with)
My Daily driver is an 03 SVT Focus, so if a truck goes down it's not a biggie.
I'm thinking:
1) Put the fuel tank in the 91 and run it till the engine breaks, or I'm done with some of the other projects.
2) Pull the C6, the wooden bed (replaces the rotten bed on the 91), the 460, and the Dana 60 out of the 79 2WD.Scavange anything else useful and then junk the chassis and broken bits.
3) Rebuild the 460, and convert the dana 60 to a front axle with a locker of some sort. Pick a likely gear ratio for the "planned truck" with 38" - 45" tires and the built 460 (on the 79 4WD)
4) If the 91 is still chugging along, swap the 460 into the 79 4WD.
5) If the 91 is still going, swap the Dana 60 into the front of the 79, rebuild the rear 60 to match, lift the truck (with drop links new drive shafts etc.), mount appropriate rims and tires... Grin!
6) Now rebuild the 351W and the Dana 44 that I removed from the 79 4WD... convert the 91 to a straight front axle, maybe lift it a couple of inches (level kit)
7) Figure out what to do with the 300ci, 351M, and the Dana 50 I have left over.
What do you think? I know it will be a multi year project, and if I find a late 60's Mustang I might have to divert an engine and a C6 and build it "for the wife".
My Daily driver is an 03 SVT Focus, so if a truck goes down it's not a biggie.
I'm thinking:
1) Put the fuel tank in the 91 and run it till the engine breaks, or I'm done with some of the other projects.
2) Pull the C6, the wooden bed (replaces the rotten bed on the 91), the 460, and the Dana 60 out of the 79 2WD.Scavange anything else useful and then junk the chassis and broken bits.
3) Rebuild the 460, and convert the dana 60 to a front axle with a locker of some sort. Pick a likely gear ratio for the "planned truck" with 38" - 45" tires and the built 460 (on the 79 4WD)
4) If the 91 is still chugging along, swap the 460 into the 79 4WD.
5) If the 91 is still going, swap the Dana 60 into the front of the 79, rebuild the rear 60 to match, lift the truck (with drop links new drive shafts etc.), mount appropriate rims and tires... Grin!
6) Now rebuild the 351W and the Dana 44 that I removed from the 79 4WD... convert the 91 to a straight front axle, maybe lift it a couple of inches (level kit)
7) Figure out what to do with the 300ci, 351M, and the Dana 50 I have left over.
What do you think? I know it will be a multi year project, and if I find a late 60's Mustang I might have to divert an engine and a C6 and build it "for the wife".