Np435 Granny Low Problem

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Anyone out there know how tough it is to rebuild a NP435?
1st gear (granny low non-synchronized gear) makes a strange noise espacially when going down steep hills. Its almost as if I can hear all the weight of the truck riding on dry gears. Maybe there is no gear oil lubing the area of 1st gear when going down hill?
I'm not sure since I've never opened it up to see where 1st gear is located. Does anyone know? Seems to sound the same never gets worse.
But I did hear it a few times lately on the flats driving forwards. 2nd, 3rd, 4th & reverse are perfect.
 
The NP trans is almost invariably noisier in first gear.
I recomend you use a shop manual, especially since you've never had this one apart. From the level of technical support you have offered others, you should easily be able to do this.

first gear is at the back end of the trans case.
 
OK it all makes sence then. If 1st is in the rear of the 435 then driving down a steep hill forwards would leave 1st gear high and dry. Maybe some duralube would help keep the gears lubed longer. I wouldn't think the 435 is tough to rebuild being all gears anyway. I know the 205 is easy as pie to rebuild.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top