Novice Needs Advice For '96

  • Thread starter Thread starter bortsbronc96
  • Start date Start date
B

bortsbronc96

Guest
Hi, this is my first post and I am looking for some advice. My first car was a 1996 Black Bronco (Eddie Bauer, 5.6L V8). My parents have kept it over the years and I just bought it back from my father when he was getting ready to trade it in. The truck has a lot of sentimental value to me and I would really like to fix it up right. However, I am really a novice when it comes to auto work.

The truck is still in good condition, but it has a lot of miles (100k plus). However, the body work is in good shape. Essentially I want to do everything with the truck that was strickly forbidden when I was in high school. For example, I would probably be interested in a lift, new tires, any power modifications that would help pickup, and maybe going convertible (a matter of fact, if it ever looked anything like the BroncoZone.com truck, it would be amazing). I would also really enjoy hearing about any other suggestions and/or anyone in the Washinton, DC area who specializes in such work.

I'll post a picture soon.
 
Welcome to BroncoZone.com!!! You'll find helpful advice from fellow Bronco/F150 owners from all over the world here. My advice is do a little searching on the mods you are thinking about, like lift kits and performance, before rushing out and buying something that you might not want in six months! I also suggest getting a repair manual like the HAynes or Chilton, so you can do the routine maintenance and minor repairs yourself to save money for the goodies. And definitely go convertible in the Summer with a black Bronco!!!
 
yeah what randy said. but the chiltons is a better manual. the haynes is so basic. but the chiltons gets right into the nitty gritty.
 
Welcome

If you really want to get into details onyour truck, watch ebay for a set of shop manuals. The most useful manual put out by Ford is the EVTM. The other ones are;

A - Body, Chassis, Electrical

B - Engine

C - Pre delivery - Lube & Maintenance

HT - Engine Emissions Diagnosis

EVTM - Electrical Vacuum Trobleshooting manual (The best of all manuals for troubleshooting problems in these areas. It breaks out each function and it's related connections so you don't get confused by all the criss cross lines in the normal wiring and vacuum diagrams. It also shows all the connections and where they are located. this of all the shop manuals is probbly the most usefull for general troubleshooting).

The complete set can cost you a few bucks, prob $100.00 plus but I have found them well worth the cost. If you search on EVTM in ebay, you will come across guys the specialize in older vehicle shop manuals. If they don't have what you are looking for listed on ebay, emil one of them, they might have them or may be willing to notify you when the get some in. EVTMs typically go for $20.00 plus.

That being said, the Chiltons is the best alternative. I have all of the above including a complete set of parts manuals for 80 - 86. My total investment was around $250.00, but I wouldn't be without them when working on my 83. It really impresses the Ford parts guys when you come in with the complete part number for them to work with., not that I go to them too often. I have a local friendly recycler that I get stuff from for next to nothing.

Good luck,


:)>-
 
PS

While you are working on it check our those famous Bronco rust points like the rear door posts. The Ford "better idea" leaves a gap in the rear mud gards that allows mud and crap to be thrown right into that area as well as back near the bottom of the rear quarter panel. After fixing the rust in those areas, I redesigned the guards to completely seal to the side of the quarter panel so the junk can't be thrown up there. I used 18 wheeler mud flaps, pretty stiff to work with, but they do a great job.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure that I will seek a lot more advice in the future. But I'm excited to learn a lot more and get to work.
 
Welcome to Bronco Zone!!
I have learned alot about broncos just from this site and FSB.
I am starting to up grade mine as I get the money right now I am looking into getting a soft top. I am hoping to do some engine work soon.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top