No Top

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bronco_Blues
  • Start date Start date
B

Bronco_Blues

Guest
i also have a question about removing the plex-cap on the back of my bronco. I have heard horror stories with these things leaking once you put them back on. Is it true? and if so, is there any way to prevent it?
B_B
 
Yeah, Go ahead and get a new weather strip. If your top has never been off, it will most likely tear, or be dry rotted. Keep the new one Armour All'ed,(or what ever brand you use), and you shouldn't have any problems with leaks.

If you have room .... make a stand for you top, to keep it high off the ground, and level. 4 wooden fence posts, and two 2x4's work great. You can set this up to where you can take the top off/on by yourself.
 
Take it off everyone that tells you that are just mad they cannot look as kewl as us. It will not leak just becuase you take the top off. picture added to show how great it looks.
 

Attachments

  • Bronco_Pics_003.jpg
    Bronco_Pics_003.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 20
Yeah, I agree with that. My uncle had an 80 something Jeep years ago. That wound up at the bottom of a hill under about 3 feet of mud. Ill try and post a picture of it sometime. I think im going to pull my top off now that I had some meaningful advice. Thanks Folks. Pictures of my bronco are coming soon.
B_B
 
I have had my hardtop off and on several times, finally leaving it off for the past year or so. The only reason it would leak when you put it back on is if the weatherstripping is worn out or gets pinched putting the top back on. The design is very good about preventing leaks. Most of the problems with water getting in come from cracks in the back of the rain gutters on the cab or the seals for the back glass. I store my hardtop ontop of some old tires to keep it off of the ground.

The Broncos are meant to run topless in the Summer!!! B)

getfile.php
 
Before Photo MS Paint.
 

Attachments

  • MVC_015S.JPG
    MVC_015S.JPG
    2.4 KB · Views: 21
After MS Paint.
 

Attachments

  • Photoshoped.JPG
    Photoshoped.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 23
Looking good. I think I'm going to try and pull teh top off in the next few days. I live in Ohio, so it rains offten, but I do have cover from rain just incase. What do you think about soft tops?
B_B
 
Any one know where I can get a replacement interior door panel?
B_B
 
I am from Piqua, OH. I live in Jacksonville North Carolina. I am in the Marine Corps. So this is where the stationed me. I come up that way every once in a while. Maybe I could get up with you the next time I get up that way and we could do some wheeling.
 
Well the other day we had a nasty rain storm come through and it dumped about a 1.5 inch in about 8 mins and well i want out to check my top and to my surprise the top had a slight dribble, like it wasn't even really dripping but there was a few water drops just hanging onto the pastic. Should I be worried about this cause i don't think its a big problem, and I don't think the top has ever been off. Also this spring we have had alot of rain like around 10 inches and I have checked it every now and then and there was no problem I just noticed it with that heavy heavy rain.
 
I would just get you some new weather stripping. I dont think it would be to bad but I would replace it just for my GP. I had my top off a few weeks back and the skies opened up and dumped gallons of water into my truck the carpet soaked it up great. About a few minutes later the sun comes out and dried it all up but I went home that night and vacummed the carpet good with my shop vac. I also used my little green machine to clean the carpet so I would not have a smelly truck. I put the top back on a couple days later but I believe this weekend it is coming off.
 
Walkdawg, you may want to check under your carpet, mine has a plastic backing, like a thin clear trash bag, that i guess, is supposed to keep water from soaking through, but actually allows water to seep through, trapping it between the insulation and floor. This is an excellent source for rust.
 
I just pulled it all out today just look under it I was thinking the same thing after I wrote that. It looks really clean I am thinking of getting some of that liner stuff for the truck beds and just putting it in there so I don't have to worry about the carpet.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top