No Spark

bousy1

New Member
I have no spark. it was running last night and this morning it wont start so i replaced the ignition module and coil. Look at the cap and rotor looks fine. Just woddering you anyone has any other ideas? Thanks
 
Ok,looks like ya already did the obvious,module,coil.Now the next thing to check for is to see if the rotor is actually turning,pull the cap off and have someone crank it over,if it doesn't turn,good theres a good chance the shear pin is broke on the distributor drive gear.Its a easy fix.Just pull the distributor out,slide the gear off,drive out the broken pin,put the gear back on,drive in a new pin and reinstall,you'll have to do bring no1 up to top dead center trick.Another thing to do if the distributor is turning,grab a hold of the rotor and try to turn it,if it turns it is the shear pin,Remember if the dist.is not turning neither is the oil pump.
Another thing to do is look for broken wires in the ignition harness,just trace the wires down between the dist/coil,and the ignition module.I've also seen bad ignition switch's give a no spark condition.
Also if the distributor shear pin is not broken and doesn't turn,your lookin at doin the timing chain and gears.

Bill
 
depending on when the last rebuild was - if it ever had a rebuild - it might have jumped timing, and would only need a replacement timing chain kit
 
I'm not sure if the 79 Bronco Distributor is points with a stator, but if it is, you might want to look into replacing the stator. I spent all day Sunday trouble shooting my ignition because just like you, all of a sudden the truck wouldn't start. my problem turned out to be the module, but part of the trouble shooting includes testing the stator. It's about the only thing left for you to replace on the ignition side after the module and coil.

In case you're like me, I didn't know what a stator was until I had to start trouble shooting my ignition, the stator is the magnetic device that spins the rotor of the distributor. The stator is what the pigtail from the module plugs into at the distributor.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top