I've found a lot of good info here (and the link to bronco GVYD) so I figgured I'd quit lurking and introduce myself. Name is Rusty, and I live in the Rochester NY area. My daily driver is an 03 SVT Focus. My wife and I recently bought some land with a barn and a quonset hut on it (oh yeah there's a house of some sort too). I have an 800+ ft Driveway, woods, fields etc. etc. and decided an inexpesive pickup (with a plow) was in order. I saw this 91 F250 with a 7.5' Fisher plow on it for $2500 +$250 for a new windshield, looked it over, believed the owner (mistake) and bought it. This was 2 weeks ago, and I'm sure I'll share the story of the build so far, but let me give you a list of what I've bought for her so far, in the order purchased (I'm sure you can guess the series of events).
Driving truck:
8 Gallons of gas
Flatbed Ride
Shopping trip 1
Radiator - hoses - cap - coolant - thermostat - gasket
Rear Fuel tank - filler hose - tank straps
Air filter - Oil filter - plugs - wires - oil - PCV valve and breather element
Shopping trip 2
New themostat housing
Shopping trip 3
Inexpensive steel wheels and Dayton M/T tires
Shopping trip 4
Horn, and horn button
The proper lug nuts, a 1.25" socket and a 3/4" breaker bar (no really the nuts on it were that big and that tight)
Shopping trip 5
Rotor and cap (would have bought this with the filter, but parts guy insisted that it was DIS, and I hadn't looked yet)
Shopping trip 6
New distributor and Module
More hose clamps
Fuses (hey why did the dash light stop working... Plow control is out too... aw dang)
Future shopping trips:
New head - or a head job there are 4 of the six plugs rusted solid to the head, and One of those is missing the "hex bolt" portion
New metal filler neck -rear tank, or enough tubing to fake it
Chain - cable - or strap for the tailgate
So when an owner insits he's a mechanic, and that the truck is in inspectible / drivable shape... Look twice. I've had the pleasure of driving it a total of 10 miles!
91 F250 Custom 4x4, 300ci, 5sp, A/C, Fisher Plow, "lots o' new parts"
Driving truck:
8 Gallons of gas
Flatbed Ride
Shopping trip 1
Radiator - hoses - cap - coolant - thermostat - gasket
Rear Fuel tank - filler hose - tank straps
Air filter - Oil filter - plugs - wires - oil - PCV valve and breather element
Shopping trip 2
New themostat housing
Shopping trip 3
Inexpensive steel wheels and Dayton M/T tires
Shopping trip 4
Horn, and horn button
The proper lug nuts, a 1.25" socket and a 3/4" breaker bar (no really the nuts on it were that big and that tight)
Shopping trip 5
Rotor and cap (would have bought this with the filter, but parts guy insisted that it was DIS, and I hadn't looked yet)
Shopping trip 6
New distributor and Module
More hose clamps
Fuses (hey why did the dash light stop working... Plow control is out too... aw dang)
Future shopping trips:
New head - or a head job there are 4 of the six plugs rusted solid to the head, and One of those is missing the "hex bolt" portion
New metal filler neck -rear tank, or enough tubing to fake it
Chain - cable - or strap for the tailgate
So when an owner insits he's a mechanic, and that the truck is in inspectible / drivable shape... Look twice. I've had the pleasure of driving it a total of 10 miles!
91 F250 Custom 4x4, 300ci, 5sp, A/C, Fisher Plow, "lots o' new parts"