New Driveshaft ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NMBronco77
  • Start date Start date
N

NMBronco77

Guest
Howdy,
I am building my 77 Ranger from the ground up. Took off and cleaned/ repaired/ replaced every nut/bolt and part. Replaced every piece of sheetmetal that had a spot of rust on it. New motor from a speed shop in Albuquerque. All new suspension from J Duff with a 4" lift, double shocks with front hoops. All new poly bushings...on and on and on.
I installed this J. Duff 4'' lift with 11 leaf rears, and I installed a new 31 spline 9" Detroit locker in the rear. The guy that built my Locker for me put a different yoke on it than the original. It is a larger one than the other one that I had. He said that it was stronger and more desirable.
Since I put the lift on, my driveshaft is too short so I need to have a new one made up, but I am not sure what to tell the driveshaft people.
First of all, is there a standard amount of lenght (or how much longer) should my driveshaft be for this particular lift configuration?
Second, What is this "larger" yoke/u-joint that I have on my rear end and will a driveshaft guy have what I need to match up to it.
I would like to keep this at around $250.00 or less. Is this a dream?
If you have any info for me I would greatly appreciate it. I have been working on this machine for over two years and I would like to get it on the road. I have around $20,000 invested so far and I have hit a snag here on what to do.
Can anyone help me?

Pat Ruminer
"NMBronco77"
 
Welcome to the 'zone Pat,
The driveline shops that I deal with use centre of u-joint cap to centre of u-joint cap measurements to build shafts. (call your shop to confirm)
Call your differential guy and ask him what series of u-joint the new yoke uses.
(Spicer 1310 etc...) Failing a series, ask him what the part number of the new yoke is, the driveline guys will be able to go from there.

The shop will need normal ride height measurements for your d. shafts. They may ask for full extended and sitting on the bump stop measurements too, to allow them to pick the correct length of slip shaft for your application.

Good luck
Post picks of the project when you get a chance.
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 1
A CALL TO BC BRONCOS MIGHT GET YOUR INFO SINCE THEIR TOP OF THE LINE LIFT KITS COME WITH NEW DRIVESHFTS? JUST A THOUGHT
 
Howdy,

Thanks for the responses.
the guy that built the rear end is no longer available. I will just wing it with a driveshaft shop. Maybe they can build what I need from the measurements.
I checked with BC Broncos. They look like a pretty good site.
thanks,

Pat in NM.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top