New Bronco Owner

  • Thread starter Thread starter sflkiwi
  • Start date Start date
S

sflkiwi

Guest
Hi All,

I just got myself a new '90 Bronco with 136K miles. I got the truck without a user manual and I am trying to figure out how to remove the fiberglass cap so that my kids can enjoy the open air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
it is a pain in the a to remove the top . you have to take all of the trim off on the interior around the cap to body to get to the bolts that hold it on. well any way here are the exact instructions from my manual.
Caution:the tailgate window must always remain closed to prevent breakage whe the roof is removed.
1 lower tailgate window to the fulldown positionand lower the tailgate
2 remove the screws attaching the trim molding and remove the plastic trim from around the side window openings and the cab opening to gain access to the roof retaining bolts.
3 Scribe the location of the molding brackets on the fiberglass roof's surface and number each bracket as it is removed for reinstallation in their original positions.
4 Remove all the roof retaining bolts and molding brackets.
5 With the help of several assistants , carefully lift the roof offf the vehicle to prevent tearing or separating the weatherstrip from the fiberglass roof. note the roof wieghs about 120 pounds.
6 To prevent deformation of the roof and weatherstrip, store the roof right side up on a level surface at least six inches above the ground.
7 Installation is the reverse of removal.

good luck :rolleyes:
 
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try it out this weekend and I'll see how it goes. I'm in South Florida so I'm thinking of getting a canvas top for the summer.

Does anybody have experience with canvas tops vs fiber glass?
 
I actually thought it was pretty easy..
follow these steps...

http://www.froggmann.com/Tech/Topremoval.htm


then when you go to put it back on only bolt the top two and the other two in the back that dont cause you to use those clips...that way its easy to unscrew and take off and put back on...a soft top would be good to have or at least a tarp and 2 bungee cords
 
Howdy!!! It may take you about 40-50 minutes to remove all 13 bolts the first time you remove the hardtop, since they are fine-threaded bolts, some are 3" long, 8mm I think. Just remove the trim panels by taking out the screws, and you will see the bolts. You should remove any of the clips or tape them down, as they tend to fall off while driving!

I have a Skyler fastback-style soft tonneau cover, and it is way'mo betta than the bulky hardtop. I mainly use it in the winter time to stay warm, but it does come in handy on a rainy day. I always put an icechest or box under it to keep from getting a pool of water in the back during a heavy rain.

I've been topless for about two years, and have had the Skyler for most of that time, but only use it a few times a year. Pics are in my gallery at supermotors.com, and there's a link in my profile to the site. JSM84
 
its a lot of work, but its not hard to do, like u don't to read a guide book to figure it out, u simply take out the screws then pull it off. its a lot of fun for the summer time
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top