Need Hub Removal Help!!

sjroo

New Member
I'm trying to replace the ball joints on my '96 F-150, but can't even get past removal of the manual hubs.

The Haynes book is of little help. Starts off by telling me to remove 6 bolts in the cap. Mine only has three.

When I open it up, there are no visible locking rings or other obvious places to start.

This is probably really simple, but I've been looking for hours and can't figure out what comes next.

I do see a groove in the axle end. I'm thinking maybe a lock ring is missing? (BAD) If the locking ring is missing, what's holding this thing together?

Can anyone help? Instructions, photos or diagram would be very helpful.

Here's what my hub looks like.



Here's what the cap looks like in case it matters.



Thanks!
 
I'm trying to replace the ball joints on my '96 F-150, but can't even get past removal of the manual hubs.

The Haynes book is of little help. Starts off by telling me to remove 6 bolts in the cap. Mine only has three.

When I open it up, there are no visible locking rings or other obvious places to start.

This is probably really simple, but I've been looking for hours and can't figure out what comes next.

I do see a groove in the axle end. I'm thinking maybe a lock ring is missing? (BAD) If the locking ring is missing, what's holding this thing together?

Can anyone help? Instructions, photos or diagram would be very helpful.

Here's what my hub looks like.



Here's what the cap looks like in case it matters.



Thanks!
from what i see here the hub is locked is the the way it was when you took it out?
 
It looks like your hub is an older designed one. On my 1979, instead of putting a snap ring on the axle shaft itself, they put one that was mounted around the hub opening itself. In the one photo you posted, at the upper right it almost looks like what I had. It is mainly a round wire, like a skinny snap ring. Hard to explain, but I guess look at the outer lip and check it out, doesn't hurt right? Sometimes too, the hub guts stick inside. I either thread 2 of the bolts back in for the outer lock out and use them as leverage to pull them out, or I have a puller that works good. Let me know. Thanks, hope that helps you.
 
Hey fellas,
I'm just now joining this site, cuz my stepdads 95 f-150 needs the front bearing changed and we're havin troubles. It's the same lookin manual hub that you have torn apart here. There is a lock ring in there. You can even kinda see it in the photo. I don't know how to explain where it is, but it's like a C shaped ring around the inner race of the hub itself. In the Haynes book if you look at the photo they tell you to remove the lockring in, with the screwdriver, if you look really hard, you can see a wire crossing the shaft of the screwdriver. We finally found it, but now we can't figure out how to get a strong enough screwdriver in there to dig it out.
Did you get it out? Is there a special tool or trick to it? Any help here would be appreciated guys. I've never had a 4x4 before but always had Fords. He's a (cough cough) Chevy man :-& , so no good on a superior product. lol Anyways, hope I might have helped or at least can get some.
 
Hey fellas,
I'm just now joining this site, cuz my stepdads 95 f-150 needs the front bearing changed and we're havin troubles. It's the same lookin manual hub that you have torn apart here. There is a lock ring in there. You can even kinda see it in the photo. I don't know how to explain where it is, but it's like a C shaped ring around the inner race of the hub itself. In the Haynes book if you look at the photo they tell you to remove the lockring in, with the screwdriver, if you look really hard, you can see a wire crossing the shaft of the screwdriver. We finally found it, but now we can't figure out how to get a strong enough screwdriver in there to dig it out.
Did you get it out? Is there a special tool or trick to it? Any help here would be appreciated guys. I've never had a 4x4 before but always had Fords. He's a (cough cough) Chevy man :-& , so no good on a superior product. lol Anyways, hope I might have helped or at least can get some.
Oh, use a hammer to jam the screwdriver behind the lockring to get it out of the hub? ok. Don't be shy about hurtin the hub with your all-powerful screwdriver? ok.
Then when you find out that the froze up inner bearing won't come off for money, sex, drugs or prayer; beat it with a chisel and 3 lb sledge? ok. Being careful not to mar the bearing race or spindle too badly? ok
Thanks so much for your help with this one fellas. :)
 
Oh, use a hammer to jam the screwdriver behind the lockring to get it out of the hub? ok. Don't be shy about hurtin the hub with your all-powerful screwdriver? ok.
Then when you find out that the froze up inner bearing won't come off for money, sex, drugs or prayer; beat it with a chisel and 3 lb sledge? ok. Being careful not to mar the bearing race or spindle too badly? ok
Thanks so much for your help with this one fellas. :)
Oh, when you're beating it with a chisel, just put a groove into the froze on bearing to use as a lip to put the chisel in. Then angle the chisel sideways and beat the bearing so that it wants to free up and turn like it's supposed to, even though it's nearly welded in place? ok
So, be patient and get it to move a little one way and then the other? Then spray penetrating oil on it and do it some more? ok
Then after it's pretty lubed, move the chisel behind the caliper bracket and beat the back of the bearing forward? ok, then hammer the chisel in behind the bearing on the opposite side to even it out and keep it from binding on the spindle? OK. Then keep going back and forth like that? Till it pops off? Okily dokily fellas. Thanks again for the help. Sure was nice hearin from yas.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top