Need Added Power

  • Thread starter Thread starter andydic
  • Start date Start date
A

andydic

Guest
I was wondering what kind of bolt on products are offerd to get me more power. I already have dual exhaust, flows, and a K@N airfilter, but want more power to my 351W. Need help
 
I have read that if you advance your timing from 10 to 13 it will make a very big difference. I have been wanting to confirm this with my truck but I have stopped driving it do to a broken coil spring, I have a complete 6" lift kit but I don't have a shop to do it in :(
 
If you have fuel injection you can change the throttle body, mass air flow sensor, you can also change cams. Put an electric fan on it ( instead of the mechanical fan) also up grade the ignition. I have also heard of the advanced timing thing but I have not done it or seen soeone who has, and do not really want to be the first with something like that.
 
I was wondering about the MAF housing. I changed it on my Cougar from a 55-70, but looking at this, I don't know how I could change the MAF housing. There are, what I assume, two of them inside the air intakes?
BroncoIntake.jpg
 
There is no MAF on your Bronco......at least from what I can see. Usually its just down stream of the air box.
 
I was wondering. I didn't think there was anything, like on some of the Thunderbirds I've seen before, but there's something hard in the tubes about half-way down. What would that be? Reinforcement? I didn't see any way that wires would be running through there, so that's what got me wondering.
 
Advancing the timming will give a bit more power but it will also heat up the engine quicker than usual and can over heat.
Get a MSD Ignition, Cam, aftermarket throttle body. Do you have headers with 3" dual pipes? These will make a difference if you don't want to spend the cash on gears or a Paxton Super Charger. The Paxton adds 5-6 #'s of air down the intake and creats an extra 100 hp! But costs $3000 b-( Gears are only $1000 installed if you bring both axles into a shop.
 
Hey 88, the hard things you are feeling is a wire that is coiled up to support the hoses.
 
the advanced timing trick works really good. i figured that out by myself and later found out about the trick here at the forum. i was just tuning for best performance by trial and error. i also have a carbed 351 so for FI it might make the computer act strangely. the only way to figure out is to try.
 
JC Whitney has a product called the "tornado" that is suppose to increase air flow. It fits on EFI and Carbs. It is about $65.00
Has anyone tried it?
 
A chip, electric fans, if not already equipped, underdrive pullys, getting all the obstructions and air restrictors out of the air tubes and filter housing, bigger injectors or throttle body, a good tune up..
Some cheap, some not so cheap.. :)
 
My brother has some 3" aluminum piping and rubber sleeves he's used to make intakes, so I might just have him do that. And I don't have a throttle body, so I'm fine there for making a better intake. I'll see about an electric fan. I might be able to get one off of a Thunderbird or Cougar since I know some people, or just save some money and check at a junk yard.

Where's a good place to get some underdrive pullies and injectors? (Maybe some part numbers to help.)

Does the Tornado really work? I've heard some people tell me they don't work, and my roommate last year that put one in his Buick said it helped his gas mileage. I will say, it's one of the few gimmicks that has stayed around for a while, unlike that crap Z-Max and some of that other stuff.
 
And I don't have a throttle body,

So it is carburated or is it a multiport fuel injection?
Multi port still has a throttle body, but unlike a throttle body injection system, it only meters the air into the engine vs. metering the air and housing the injectors in a package much like a carburator.
 
WHile your 88 Bronco does have a throttle body, it wasn't until after 1994 that the Broncos had mass air. And like stated, those twin air tubes have coiled wire inside them for support. Even with a K&N filter, that airbox setup is fairly restrictive, so a homemade induction setup would help you out there. There's not much else that you can do to the motor other than expensive internal mods, but you might consider a shift kit for the tranny. As for the timing, I am at 12deg. but I have a carb and not EFI.
 
Okay, so I had a K&N panel filter, but it was filthy, bugs and grease/oil in it. So, today I cleaned it with dish soap. I also noticed the oil breather going through the air box. Now that can't be good there. Especially with it being all oily. So, I yanked that out, cut out the little piece for the hole from the filter so I wouldn't have a hole for a mouse or something to get into and chew up the filter. Then, I went to O'Reilly and bought a 3" K&N breather filter, cut the hole out bigger so it fit on the plastic pipe that came out of the old tube that ran to the air box, and I also bought the K&N recharger kit and cleaned the old filter with that, which made it look almost new. I also cut a hole in the front of the intake tube that goes up and mounts to the radiator support piece. I figure since the regular hole at the front of the intake is smaller, I'd cut a hole in it lower for some more air. It's closer to the grill, so it gets more air and colder air. It may get more bugs, but I'll be cleaning the filter more now that I have the recharger kit.

I definitely notice a difference. It doesn't run as loud as it used to. It sounded like it was running hard before, now it seems to just run smoothly. I'm sure this should add to my gas mileage, even if just one or two miles per gallon. When I cleaned it, I found at least one bug inbetween each ridge, though it was probably more like five. Now there's more room in the air box and it doesn't have oil fumes. If someone would like some more pictures, I can take some and have them up by the end of next week.
 
Iamnot, a shift kit has a valve body that changes the internal pressures and makes for a firmer shift between gears, reducing slippage. Check out TransGo or B&M for more info.

88P, sounds like that may work for you, just watch that oily hose so it doesn't keep dumpin oil . It's part of the crankcase pressure relief. Hope your mileage does improve!
 
It doesn't run as loud as it used to. It sounded like it was running hard before, now it seems to just run smoothly.

A lot of the noise was eliminated when you freed the engine up to breathe easier.
Now it isn't trying to get what it wants from the restrictive passageways and gasping loudly :)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top