Mud Terrain Tires In The Snow?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 95XLT
  • Start date Start date
9

95XLT

Guest
Winter's coming up and out here in rural PA it can get nasty. Which is a better move? Replace the tires with some all-terrains, or would Muds be able to handle the weather?
 
The problem with Mud Tires is they act like slicks on ice.
You have flat tread blocks trying to gain traction on smooth surfaces. They only work well in deep snow, mud or dirt where it can bite. Alterains have a better tread pattern to keep traction on ice and are usually sipped. Alterains do OK in mud and dirt so if you don't do tons of wheelin go alterains.
 
Mud terrians can be sipped, discount tire does it for free if you buy it from them i believe. Ive never done it so im not recommending it, just adding options.
 
I've got mud terrains that I purchased from Discount Tire. I had them siped for $10 each and it was well worth the money. I live up in Michigan and I haven't had a problem with them in snowy weather at all. I won't own another set of mud terrains without siping.

Roger
 
I have the Explorer ProComp Mt's and they are siped originaly. I have used them the last 2 winters here in Pa and wheeled with them in in a foot or more of snow. Never had any probs. I love these tires. Even in icey conditions they worked great for me.


95XLT, where abouts are you in PA? I'm about 5 minutes west of Harrisburg.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top