motor swap

mike b

New Member
i recently bought my son a 78 f150 with 351 m to have as his first vehicle. we are going to fix it together over the next year for when he gets his license. I recently found out the motor is locked up so I will need to replace. I would like to go to a 302 but not sure what all I will have to do to make it work. I want something period so i do not have to change wiring barnes and such. could some one point me into right direction so i can determine if this is doable or not. I am a back yard mechanic at best but have very qualified people to help. they suggested I try your site to help me with all the particulars I will nee to be aware of. My son really loves this truck so i want to make this work.
thanks for any help,
Mike B
 
Welcome!

My warning in advance is that you will need a different transmission. The 351m has a different bolt pattern then the 302. (note: The 351w shares its bolt pattern with the 302.)

When looking for an engine, any 302 with a carberated intake will do. To keep things "period" buy a year matching distruptor and ignition coil. I've had no issues with MSD products.

This is also a perfect time not to install a mechanical fan. Buy 2 good electric fans off ebay or amazon and use thermal controllers. Wiring might be confusing at first, but you'll be happy with the results later.

got a photo of the truck?
 
thank you skitter. I do not have any pics yet. the truck is straight with minimal surface rust. no rust around cab mounts. My son and I intend to paint and repair everything ourselves. when we are done it will be what it is. Is a great project for he and I to spend time together though. I was an aircraft mechanic and now run a maintenance dept at a major university. hope my mechanical abilities will come through here.lol
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top