Mods For My 69

  • Thread starter Thread starter pony69
  • Start date Start date
P

pony69

Guest
Hey enthusiasts, I've got an uncut 69 in great shape. The previous owner raised the truck 3.5" (blocks in rear w/ stock leafs), added front disc brakes, and Waren hubs other then that it's stock. I've driven it for about a year and am ready to make some modifications and would love to get some advice. My primary use (sorry to say) is on the road as I live in New York, but if any of you have driven around the city would know it can be brutally rough, but occasionally it gets in the sand and on light trails.
First of all I'm thinking of putting the shifter on the floor, who makes the best one? I hate the idea of adding the fiberglass tunnel cover any other options?
Next, the suspension / steering....I'm looking stay w/ approximately the 3.5" lift but need a stable and softer on the road ride, should I go with variable rate or linear rate springs (did I mention I do not want to cut the fenders...yet). Safety is of great concern and the steering is soft, I'm thinking about a power steering conversion, again any advise on whose kit is the best? Thank you in advance for your response. PONY69
 
I would go with a winters(Artcarr) shifter if it's an automatic.
 
Hey there pony,
From what I have seen, the 3 speed shifters are all made by Hurst, the only real differences are the shift lever and knobs. If you buy Wildhorses, Duffs, or the Hurst, you won't be disappointed. Unfortunately, there is no way around having some sort of tunnel cover due to the hole needed for the shifter linkage to run through the floor. Personally, I made a nice cover from some 1/8" aluminum sheet.
If you are looking for ride quality, don't purchase Rancho or Superlift front springs, they will rattle your teeth out!
Look into a Duff lift, or check out the Wildhorses kits. I am currently running Bronco Graveyard 5.5" superflex front springs with custom rear springs and Rancho RSX shocks on my 69 1/2 cab, and am quite impressed with the ride ( a little soft in the corners now, gotta drive slower!!)
Variable or linear rate springs is a personal choice, If you aren't carrying a winch and don't have a large heavy front bumper, linear rate is a good way to go. They will flex the same all the way through their travel. Just make sure before you purchase that the spring rate (liner or variable) starts near or below 200 lbs/in.
I have no experience with power steering "kits" but whatever you purchase for a mainly street driven rig, go with the 76/77 style box with the quick ratio, you can sometimes find them on e-bay for a reasonable price. Make sure when you do purchase your p/s that you get EVERYTHING you will need. (engine brackets, w/ pump and crank pulleys, hoses, pitman arm,steering shaft etc...)
If you feel like making a weekend run to Canada for some used parts, contact "maritime mudder" here on the board, he has a couple of EBs (74 &76??) that he was parting out. He lives in in New Brunswick.
Good luck, and welcome to the "zone".
 
Thanks for the welcome and the advise! java script:emoticon(':)%3E-')STILKIKN can you take a look on www.carsteering.com and tell me if this kit looks complete.
 
The kit they show is a good start.
In addition, you would need;
Double groove crankshaft pulley
Double groove water pump pulley ( not absolutely necessary, but good to use)
and a pitman arm (I am not sure if your manual arm will fit the conversion box)
I would recommend a full Borgeson (Flaming river) collapsible steering shaft.

Many people swear by the Saginaw (GM) p/s pump that is in this kit, I have had no problems with my factory steel bodied Ford pump.
The hardest items to find will probably be the pulleys, but they are available from any of the Bronco vendors.
Have you looked at any of their complete conversion kits??
Duffs, Toms, Wildhorses,Broncograveyard for example all offer complete kits, and if the additional parts aren't in the kit, they are available from them as well, which does save a lot of frustration and time when trying to find that last part to complete your conversion.
 
After you get the Duff or Wildhorses 3.5" coils make sure you only run one shock per corner, no need for duals on road. It will soften up the ride keeping one shock per tire. Duff's 70/30's work the best from what I've felt.
 
You mean Fred Flinstone style holes? Thats the best brake modification you can have! There aren't many left with original floor boards. The aftermarket 1/4" floor plates work well and weld in easy.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top