misfire, loading up, and ruff running

cowkicker59

New Member
I have a "73" Ford F-100, installed a rebuilt 390 engine with a "RV" cam. I installed new parts at this time including; starter, altenator, coil, distributor, carb (Eddlebrock), plug wires, radiator, fuel pump, steering pump, brake booster and master, regulator, ignition parts, everything under the hood is new parts. This truck ran decent for about three months and then developed a miss that grew into pinging and sputtering and finaly will not run.

I pulled the top to the carb check for pluged up jets and checked float level, replaced distributor and points and coil, timed and the truck ran good for about 1 mile and loaded up again, it keeps doing this. I am at a loss.
I have replace everything I can a third time and have had the carb adjusted, still the same problem persists.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Cowkicker
 
I have a "73" Ford F-100, installed a rebuilt 390 engine with a "RV" cam. I installed new parts at this time including; starter, altenator, coil, distributor, carb (Eddlebrock), plug wires, radiator, fuel pump, steering pump, brake booster and master, regulator, ignition parts, everything under the hood is new parts. This truck ran decent for about three months and then developed a miss that grew into pinging and sputtering and finaly will not run.

I pulled the top to the carb check for pluged up jets and checked float level, replaced distributor and points and coil, timed and the truck ran good for about 1 mile and loaded up again, it keeps doing this. I am at a loss.
I have replace everything I can a third time and have had the carb adjusted, still the same problem persists.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Cowkicker
maybe you have dirty fuel did you clen out the tank when you done all of this . have you checked your fuel filters? it could just be a dirty needle and seat. what kind of float do you have is it metal or plastic? did you check to see if it was full of fuel?
 
I know the fuel is good, it is a locked tank, so no foul play. The floats are metal and checked for proper adjustment. Cleaned and blew out needle and other areas 4 times.

I am gonna go have the fuel tested though, that could be a problem if there is water in the fuel from the station where I got it. When I removed the top to the carb, I saw no water. Checked and re-gapped plugs today as well as check all wires for damage, none found and plugs were in good condition. Filters are new. Oil was a little dark because of the problem. Only thing I can see is to send the carb back , it is the only thing that when I pull the top off and empty the bowl, the truck will run great for about a block and then start running bad again, like maybe the carb was "jetted" for a different engine.

Thanks for the reply!

Cowkicker
 
I know the fuel is good, it is a locked tank, so no foul play. The floats are metal and checked for proper adjustment. Cleaned and blew out needle and other areas 4 times.

I am gonna go have the fuel tested though, that could be a problem if there is water in the fuel from the station where I got it. When I removed the top to the carb, I saw no water. Checked and re-gapped plugs today as well as check all wires for damage, none found and plugs were in good condition. Filters are new. Oil was a little dark because of the problem. Only thing I can see is to send the carb back , it is the only thing that when I pull the top off and empty the bowl, the truck will run great for about a block and then start running bad again, like maybe the carb was "jetted" for a different engine.

Thanks for the reply!

Cowkicker


Well I took the carb back to the parts house and asked to have it sent to Eddlebrock to be correctly jetted for my engine. The owner of the parts house said that Eddlebrock would not take the carb back! After exchanging some conversation about how this was wrong, I took this new 300 dollar carb home and ran it through the ban saw and will be mailing it to the Eddlebrock corp. with a letter explaining just how I feel about their products.

Buyer beware; know the warranty before you buy!

I replaced the carb with a factory Autolite 4 bbl. The truck has never ran better!

Cowkicker
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top