Metal Clips For Top?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mansquirt86
  • Start date Start date
M

mansquirt86

Guest
alright, when i took my top off last, instead of lifting it straight up i kinda slid it back. Not a problem right? wrong, the little clips that are under the edge of the top fell off and i didnt notice it until i went to put the top back on a few months later. My question is, where do i find some of those? i only have 4 bolts holding my top down. Also, there are 3 bolts along the upper strip that pull the top tight against the cabin, somehow, 2 of the (nuts?) the the bolts thread into got stripped. is there any way to replace those?
 
When I put my top back on I only use the center bolt for the top and two on each side in the back and mine is fine.
 
yah i have about three of those clips left so im running one less then normal. I called a local parts store and they said they couldnt even order them. They told me to try ford but I think that you can find some type of a clip like that at a hardware store because i saw on sitting in my garage the other day and i know it wasnt from my bronco. Best thing to do is not take your top off but its just so fun. When I get around to getting my new ones im just going to take them out every time i get the top off and put them back in when i wanna throw the top on.
 
I do the same as walk dawg...but what you could do is get one of those long magnets and get those suckers back in your hands...otherwise I think you can order them from ford
 
I think you can get one somelike it at the part store or hardware store just the bolt sixe is different so just get bolts that fit. That should work. To tell you the truth I even drove around for 2 week with out anything holding the top on and it did not leak cuase it was raining everyday. I had the top off and when I got home it was late and rainy looking so I just set the top on to keepit dry. Then I got up the next day and forgot about not putting the bolts to hold it on and went about my day and then when the rain stopped I was like time to take it off again. I go out with everything to remove the top and all have to do is lift it off I was like thats crazy I could have lost the top but I tell you It did not move at all I never noticed at all but I like to secure it just in case.
 
I have seen the u-clips at AutoZone and other parts stores, and check the "Parts for Sale/Wanted" Forum. There is a link to a site that should have these. THe parts dude at Ford will laugh at you as you storm out the door (at least my local one did), but some body repair shops keep some of these on hand, too.
As for the inserts in the cab for the hardtop bolts, best thing to do is re-tap them for a larger bolt size. Those bolts are rather long, and being fine-thread, like to strip out if over-tightened. In my experience, if you get 1 or 2 to hold along with a few along the side rails, that is enough to hold the top on. It also makes it easier the next time you want to remove the top.
 
Try this site. And if you don't SEE what you want call them. They are great at parts but the web site is not complete. But think about it, 17 million parts and they are trying to put pictures of each up there? :) I talked with the son of the owner for a while one night. They are really great people.

http://www.northlandfasteners.biz/index.html
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top