crazydave1978
New Member
does anyone know if a 390 manual flywheel will work on a 460 seeing as how they are in the same family anyone that can let me know the info is much appreciated
this guy has it right! 460 stuff doesnt play well with others. get the right year of 460 flywheel also.if you dont it will shake out your filling or brake your crank. or both! hillbilly.I don't think that anything from the FE blocks will work on the 460. Ford had two types of big blocks back in the late 60 and 70s. the 360,390,427,428 were all Fe blocks, and the 429,460 were different, I believe they were classified as svo. Pretty much anything Fe is devoted only to Fe's, its more than just being able to bolt the flywheel up and balancing it to your engine, any tranny that will bolt to the 460 won't be able to bolt up to an Fe, so the shaft comming out of the tranny probably won't fit into the pilot bearing, or it would be a different length or something. anyway hope this helps, gives you something else to check when your looking at the flywheel
this guy has it right! 460 stuff doesnt play well with others. get the right year of 460 flywheel also.if you dont it will shake out your filling or brake your crank. or both! hillbilly.
I put a 390 down in my 78 bronco and used the bronco 4 speed transmission. Before I tried it. I measured the shaft and everything measured up.Even the pilot bearing,but as you stated. The 429 and 460 is a different family from the fe--390 family.I don't think that anything from the FE blocks will work on the 460. Ford had two types of big blocks back in the late 60 and 70s. the 360,390,427,428 were all Fe blocks, and the 429,460 were different, I believe they were classified as svo. Pretty much anything Fe is devoted only to Fe's, its more than just being able to bolt the flywheel up and balancing it to your engine, any tranny that will bolt to the 460 won't be able to bolt up to an Fe, so the shaft comming out of the tranny probably won't fit into the pilot bearing, or it would be a different length or something. anyway hope this helps, gives you something else to check when your looking at the flywheel