Low Oil Pressure

  • Thread starter Thread starter bluebronco
  • Start date Start date
B

bluebronco

Guest
My 87' 4.9l is running low oil pressure. Between 8-10 psi in drive. The shop wants $550 to drop the oil pan, clean it. That doesn't include any parts if needed such as a screen or pick up tube. I bought the bronco off of a guy who knew absolutely nothing about it, so theres no telling how long its been running low pressure. I have been told it could be sludge built up in the pan that is clogging the screen and pick up tube, or it could be a bearing. My question is should I just spend the $2000 to 2500 and have it rebuilt or should I just have the shop drop the pan, clean it, replace the screen, and pickup tube.
 
I'm not positive what was in there or how long it had been in there. I tried a Gunk engine flush, and switched to valvoline max life, and also added a can of engine restorer. The pressure was ok on the gauge for about 15 min. then went right back to below normal. I might try a different engine flush, and also add Lucas Oil Stabilizer this time. Any reccomendation on a particular oil the truck as 111500 miles on it.... :unsure:
 
is the motor making any odd noises? if not it sounds like the oil return passages maybe kinda clogged , does your oil pressure return to normal after you let the truck sit for an hour or two? also how low is the rpm at idle in drive? if your oil pressure goes back to normal idling in park i dont think there is a lot to worry about and if the motor isnt making any odd noises i would first pull the valve cover if it is all full of sludge then i would consider rebuild or at least cleaning the oil return passages . my dad's 76 had 230000 miles on it when he sold and never rebuilt.
 
valvoline a good start. penzoil and any paraphin based oil are bad, bad, bad. every engine i taken apart you can tell if they used penzoil. stay away from fram filters too. as to the rebuild if the compressions good save your money for a rebuild if a few oil changes don't clean it out. check the sending unit and gauge too
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top