Locking The Hubs In 4x2

Bradt

New Member
I think I have this noodled out, but let me ask. locking the hubs just locks up the hubs right? Will the wheels still turn independently until I shift into 4wd, and then they lock together?

brad
 
Because you don't need to or have to.
The moving parts and seals would wear out faster.
Locking the hubs would not only turn the axle shafts,
but it would turn the driveshaft and the internals of the
transfer case all the time.
The axle isn't set up to be a full time 4 wheel drive.
Your asking "Why not?" and your answer is
Why?
The front axle is selectable to keep it from wearing out
and not being there when you need it.
When I regeared for example. My rear axle had 77,000 miles
on it. The front probally had under 1,000. and looking at the wear
patterns in the ring gears, that was truely apparent.
And now I have a front R&P that I can sell of give to someone
that needs a D44 TTB replacement.
 
Thanks a lot. That makes perfect sense. I didn't even think about the extra parts that would be turning in the transfer case.

brad
 
In addition to what Pony-Boy said, you will get reduced milage because of the drag of the additional hardware. It does make sense though to put it in 4x4 once in a while just to keep lube on parts that set idle. Also to move the U-joints a bit.

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top