Is This Tranny Gone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter paleocaver
  • Start date Start date
P

paleocaver

Guest
Have a 93 Bronco, all stock, automatic transmission. Last Saturday I was coming to a stop at a light. When I stopped, the downshift was so hard it literally moved me a foot. Never felt anything like it. At the next light when I started to go, the truck stalled as soon as I hit the gas.

Let it cool overnight, and yesterday drove it. From underneath I got a sound like an air ratchet. The truck was lurching and surging. When I put it in reverse it stalls.

Sound like a goner to you?

What's a rebuild cost vs buying a rebuilt. Haven't had to do this since 1982 with a Camaro.
 
If I was you I would take it to a dedicated trans shop.....just NOT one of those chain store clip joints like Aamco. Ask around at the shops in your area who they use (90% of the time repair shops send out all their trans work). Go to a few places yourself and see what goes on there....you can tell a lot just from looking at what kind of a operation they run.
Ask questions.....how long will it be warrantied, will they rebuild your trans, or replace it with a rebuilt off the shelf.....stuff like that.

Oh....and get a estimate first for any rebuilt trans.
 
Sounds like a post-toastie to me :ph34r:
I would look at your local junkyard, that is where I got mine (C6 w/ 30,000k for $500) and she works like a charm. Call around, couldn't hurt. :D/
 
Your E4OD can cost up to $2800 to repair/overhaul (incl. labor), so definitely check around. A used one from a salvage yard runs about $600-$700, and a reman. will run about $1700, plus labor. If it won't go into reverse or it's talking, it's toast.
 
You might want to check the solenoid pack in your transmission. I have replaced this when I lost 1st gear and reverse. There is a plug coming into the side of your transmission covered by a heat shield. Check for moisture in this plug. If its wet, you may need to replaced the solenoid pack. The part cost about $200 and is pretty easy to replace.
 
There's an online shop I think it's called Phoenex Transmissions, but not completly sure. I have to get a new tranny for my project also. The local shop wanted $2K for a rebuild!! and that was average here (called all of them, about 25). This place was about 1300 including the core charge and shipping (my case is shot).
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top