Inside Spare Tire Carrier

BroncoForever

New Member
A while back I removed the outside swing-away tire carrier on my Bronco because I didn't like it and think it looks better without it. I had the holes filled and painted so it looks like it was never on there. Anyway I'll get to the point, I ordered a factory inside tire carrier and will need to drill holes in the floor and side to mount it. I was wondering if anyone had pics or measurements of EXACTLY where the holes are supposed to be. I want the holes to be in the exact same spot as the ones on Broncos that came originally equiped with an inside tire carrier. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
 
I can probably get you that information. I have the inside carrier on mine and will take some measurements tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll look in my 80 - 86 parts catalog to see if it gives the measusrements. In either case I'll post again when I get the info.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
That would be great. I'm pretty sure 80-86 Broncos have the same size floor and inner fender wells as 87-96 Broncos. I know they use the same tire carrier. My friend has a 78 Bronco with the inside tire carrier, but I don't think I could get measurements from that since it's a totally different body style. Anyway, I'd appreciate that. :)
 
Hey Michael! Sorry to change the subject but I noticed you have an upgraded sound system in your rig. I was wondering if you can tell me if the rear speaker grills near the passenger seats just pull off. I'm gonna gonna upgrade all of mine. Thnx Dave! ;)
 
The rear speaker grills just pop off but have the tabs on them that might bend but are easily bent back. The front speakers require you to take off the door pannel.
 
If I am not mistaken the factory bolt holes should be there. At least on the mounting point on the fender or bed railing. Mine has a plasic insert covering where the inside mount could/should be in addition to the swing away tire carrier.
 
OK finally got some pictures and measurements. Drcarter0734 I believe is correct about the bolt holes. Mine had them when I put my carrier in. The trim should have a notch premarked that can be cut out witha utility knife, see picture. I also am putting a few in my photos so you can look at them there. The bolts are the same size as the seatbelt bolts minus the sholder section for the belt bracket. Under the Trim notch shluld be two dimples where the back mount part of the bracket goes.

If you have trouble finding the bolts, I may have some in the garage and will look. They are Ford stock and probably are still used. You need (2) 382580-S washer, (2) 386580-S Bolt (mount to floor and wheel well), (2) 57130-S bolt (mount to quarter panel).

You should finds the bolt hole witha welded nut about 8" back from the plate that holde sthe rug down, and the one on the wheel well is about 32 " back. The notch that I mentioned before is abour 16 " back.

Since I only know how to include one picture in the post, look at the members albums under Seabronc.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Thanks alot for the pics Seabronc. I haven't gotten my tire carrier yet, but I was bored today so I went and took off the window sill trim cover off in the rear of the bronco. You're right there is a cutout pattern behind it. There is also a cutout pattern behind the side panel in the rear area. This will make things much easier. Although in mine, there are no holes or plugs in the floor or anywhere. With the cutout pattern, I can mount the top that goes into the cutout and then line up the holes in the floor and mount it correctly. I'll just got to the hardware store and get whatever size bolts fit through the holes of the tire carrier. Thanks for all the help.
 
DragonDave said:
Hey Michael! Sorry to change the subject but I noticed you have an upgraded sound system in your rig. I was wondering if you can tell me if the rear speaker grills near the passenger seats just pull off. I'm gonna gonna upgrade all of mine. Thnx Dave! ;)
If you want some 6.5" speakers, I know someone that's trying to sell some Clarions. He's online, so if you want them, you can check out the link below:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=485249#post485249
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top