Inline Six Swap

trans1973

New Member
Hey, I'm thinking about putting an inlne six in my f250 4x4. I know this sounds strange, but I blew up my 400, and I have an excellent running six sitting around. Not lookng for perfrmance or anything, I just need to have my truck on the road. I'm not real concerned about the 4x4 part of it rght now, I just need to know what it'll take to bolt the six inplace of the 400. Do I need different frame mounts and everything? Any help would be great. Thanks.
 
I don't know if the F-250 ever came with a straight 6 in it, so that will be your first obsticle. Second will be to make sure the tranny mounting pattern on the blocks is the same, if not, then you'll have to find a new tranny or an adapter. You'll also have to check the radiator to make it will work, the tranny location may be differant, so that will affect your driveshaft length. You may be getting into a bigger project then you thought. I would suggest looking for a used 351 or 400 first that is running and go that route. A lot less headaches as they would be a direct bolt in replacement.
 
or even look for a 429 or 460 as these would work as well. the mounts would have to be changed :( but you'd have more power :D . the I-6 was offered in the 250's also because of the gas crises in the late 70's. It was a gas saver as they put it :^o people drove trucks back then and used them as trucks >:) instead of these people putting carpet andmaking their truck beds look like there houses. :)) . Just my $0.02
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top