if you find out what a thunderjet is tell me, ha,ha. If its anything other than just special jetting in the carb I would be suprised. I'm sure the engine is a transplanted engine, but what it is out of I have no clue, I've never heard of a thunderjet, ford used to make a cobra jet motor, but that was an FE motor (428 fe) I'm not sure if the guy got the engine out of a thunderbird and decided to call it a thunder jet??? if you can't find out what the motor is, then I would look the truck over very well before buying it, I have had a truck where they took a 390 out of a galaxy, even though it was a 390 in the truck before, the teeth on the flywheel were a different count, and they didn't seal up the rear oil galleries very well. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but when your 18 and changing the stupid ring gear on the flywheel every couple months wondering wtf, you come to hate the guys that swap engines and then get rid of them when there is small problems. anyway hope this helped good luck