Improving Gas Mileage

sreaminbronco

New Member
i know that the bronco was not made for fuel economy but is there anything i can do to improve the gas mleage im just driving to far and spending to much money on gas and was looking for a solution.
 
Buy a Chevette. :wacko:

Actually, start with the simple things. Check your tire pressures to ensure they are at proper operating level, and i don't know if your rig is lifted or not, but, it may be cheaper to run smaller rubber, turning big tires eats alot of fuel.

Clean your fuel injectors. STP, Penzoil and a billion other companies make fuel injector cleaners. If they are operating right they will use a minimal amount of gas.

Check your filters. Fuel filters, Air Filters and Oil Filters. Try a tune up, if it hasn't been done in a while. Drive it gentle. I have a '93 Eddie Bauer that is lifted, has 32 inch tires on it, and just my style of driving can affect my fuel consumption. It has a 5.8 liter 351. If i hammer it to the floor all the time, i can almost watch the gas needle go down.

Other than that, you're correct, these things weren't built for fuel economy.
 
have you ever tried the fuel injection cleaner? I keep eyeballing it at the store, but I am not sure if it is a gimmick or if it really works! I guess my dad taught me that if it isn't broken don't mess with it.
 
If you have cruise control, use it. It will be more consistant on throttle control than you probably are, atleast I know mine is just by watching the vacuum gague when I am in control and when the cruise control is in control. :rolleyes:

Just don't expect too much more out of it, If you get 12 - 15 you are doing better than probably 80 to 90% of the Bronco owners. A lot depends on the age of the engine and the condition of the various components that input to the computer. for ex. bad sensors can cause it to run too rich

Good luck,

:)>-
 
I get about 12 or 13 in town and I just drove up to Ft Benning for a road trip where I got 15 on the highway. I put in a K&N air filter, which I think helped a little bit, I also use my cruise control and don't hammer on it too much. I have seen in JEGS and some other catalogs that they sell several products that may or may not improve gas mileage: For example, the Tornado Vortex block which adds about an inch to the throttle body, which is supposed to get the optimized fuel mixture, and they also sell the Flex fan which is supposed to help reduce the gas mileage a little. Please if anyone has any experience with these, I am curious!
 
just some suggestions i've tried some and they worked:set of headers(used mustang $25) the right spark plug (it happens believe me)cold air intake,dual exhaust,electric fans(did away with old one)cap wires rotor even bought a jacobs coil,as the rest said injector cleaner,moderate performance chip,not running my a/c as much,under drive pulleys(have not done on my own vehicle)a bottle of lucas in the tank and oil
I'm not saying they all will work but some do.the trick is keeping your foot out of it.not an easy thing for me to do.good luck.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top