ignition trouble

1987zf5460

New Member
Hey Im new to the forum, but I got an 87 f350 dually with a 460 and the zf542 transmission. When I got it the starter solenoid was removed and I bought one at Napa made by echlin I'm not quite sure how it hooks up but I think its right. I have the positive battery cable on the side it is supposed to be on and also have the starter wire on the side it is supposed to be on, and also the two small wires that go on the small studs. There are four wires with fusible links they are all black for some reason but seem to be factory. I have them on the solenoid with the positive battery cable but when I try to start it it turns over but when I cut the switch off the starter keeps on going and the positive battery cable on the solenoid started smoking and I had to disconnect the battery to stop the starter. Please help me with this I would like to use this truck to pull gooseneck trailers with.
 
yo 87,

WELCOME!

See these wiring diagrams for you 87 F350 460; same as Ford's
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=25063
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=25052

see other diagrams as well
and TSBs

and http://web.archive.org/web/20110704070318/http://www.broncolinks.com/gallery_images/Chassiswiring87-89Bronco.gif



See the Starter Relay(Old Style) wiring depiction in this by Steve
miesk5 Note; B+ FROM START SWITCH is Red/Lt Blue wire


shows Fusible Links
Relay Pic in an 87 by Jem
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top