How Fast Can You Guys Drive Your Ebs Comfortably?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jayjay
  • Start date Start date
J

jayjay

Guest
Im asking this because I just got my bronco (67) about a month ago and when I got it drove really badly. So I took it to the shop and had the whole front end re-built with dual stabilizers and all. Anyway, I got it back today and was loving it but I dont think it is very fun driving over sixty! (it was kinda white knuckle time) Is this normal? Im fine driving it under 60 no prob but I wanted to scale it to you guys, do you guys drive faster than this? I got 33in tires and 4in lift, everything is built the way it is suppose too beminus the full hymee. (spelling) Let me know what you guys think! Thanks JJ
 
Well my top speed is 60-70 with 5:89 gears and 38's in 4th gear and it seems fine. I wish I could go faster but the RPM's are already at 4500...

Have you checked the driveline u-joints, shocks, tie-rods, ball joints, and bushings?
 
My old 74 I could run it as fast as i dared drive. Had it to 85 on the interstate with plenty of peddle remaining. I ran 31s with 3:50 gears, dual shocks up front, with all new components such as tie rods , bearings ect. The front end was real tight. but it just wasn't made to drive that fast. On the flat surfaces it was great but the bridges !





Bill
 
i have a 72 with 33 and about 3 inch lift and mine will go 85 but comfortably about 60-65you also have to put in consideration ur driving a box its not gunna go very fast
 
Bottom line... if you want to drive fast get a sports car if you want to have fun drive a 4X4. Remember a four wheel drive won't handle like a car, and a car won't handle like a 4X4. I have seen plenty of them in the junk yard that have tried!!!
 
You know, you said you had the whole front end rebuit, but what do your tires look like? Funky wear any where? When you accelerate from a stop, does your rig raise up or squat? While I agree that a bronco has the areodynamic profile of a concrete block, it should be safe enough to drive at necessary highway speeds, even if it is not for long periods of time. Perhaps your front springs are too light, valving poorly set in the shocks, or you have the wrong angle C-bushings for your lift. (U-joints up front ok?) What about your wheel bearings? These are just thoughts. My track arm bushings went out a couple of years ago, and it was unsafe at any speed, dirt or street. Go back to the shop that rebuilt the front end and have them drive it, then hook up with someone else in your town that has a Bronco and compare the ride at speed. Hope it helps. I commute 14 miles each way each day, and avoid the highway due to the joints in the concrete make me feel like Evil Kenevil. Might look cool, but I'd rather live to wheel another day. Let us know what you find.
 
So, there is nothing more I can do to the front.....it is solid! However, in the power steering there is movement in the wheel before the car re-acts. I also have a 97 blazer (i know) I guess when I turn the wheel I expect the car to respond. I guess my real question is, why is my power steering not tight? I could get it tight like I want it, the car would go fast no prob, but it really isnt as tight as I would like it.....JJ
 
Jayjay some of the slop you describe is in your steering shaft joint where it bolts to the gearbox try a Borgsen steering shaft or use Borgsen u-joint style cuplers and build yourself a custom shaft. Or you could, take the original coupler apart and weld in some filler metal on those square pieces inside the joint and grind them back down until you get a tight fit. Not sure but just removing the original joint and replacing it with a sigle Borgsen joint may work, I just dont know if anyone offers that style joint as a replacement for the original.
 
You might try replacing the rag joint. there is alot of play in it and if it hasn't been replaced I would do so, it will take up some slack.
 
Jayjay, Something else to thing about is your steering wheel. it's a big wheel & with power steering it is diff for sure... I replaced the wheel & it drives a lot better... Just something to think about!!! Good luck :)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top