How do I figure out what Tranny I have

snoopt

New Member
I have an 84 f150 4x4, it has a 351W with an auto tranny. It has D, 1 & 2. I don't know what type it is, but it is leaking and so is the engine and so are the brakes... anyways, I am looking to rebuild the drive train. I was looking at some other posts and was considering a swap. I want good power, but also drive it everyday. Any recommendations on an engine & tranny swap. I am not new to working on cars, but to this level I am. I want to do the job myself and am going to purchase a used engine and tranny and do the rebuild then do the swap. So any advice is great.
 
Welcome to the Zone!
clap.gif

If there is a push button on the dash or shifter for "Overdrive" then you have an E4OD, if not then I think you have a C6.
E4OD will cost you up to around $1600 to have it rebuilt. I'm not sure how much it would cost to have the C6 rebuilt.
 
snoopt said:
I have an 84 f150 4x4, it has a 351W with an auto tranny. It has D, 1 & 2. I don't know what type it is, but it is leaking and so is the engine and so are the brakes... anyways, I am looking to rebuild the drive train. I was looking at some other posts and was considering a swap. I want good power, but also drive it everyday. Any recommendations on an engine & tranny swap. I am not new to working on cars, but to this level I am. I want to do the job myself and am going to purchase a used engine and tranny and do the rebuild then do the swap. So any advice is great.
[snapback]16303[/snapback]​
Hey Snoopt, good to cu here, before you start ripping into your drivetrain a question, How does she drive?Are the gearchanges smooth ? Where are the tranny and engine oil leaks?I am asking these questions in case fixes are easily performed rather then an expensive complete swap.
Henk from Oz
 
It has no dash button or shifter button, ateast none I have found. I figured C6, but I have not had experience with 4x4's so I didn't know what was standard. Of course I figured the owners manual would help, didn't. I even have the original window sticker, can't seem to make that out to see if it tells or not. :-B

Not exactly sure where the leaks are. I need to get underneath and take a look. While the tranny fluid is full the gearchanges are failry smooth, they do have a little pop to them but I read somewhere that was good. It meant it was positively switching gears, not "sliding" into them i.e. it has good fluid pressure. I have only had her for 8 months or so. She drove fine around town when I got her, then i took a trip to Baltimore one day and she started overheating about half way down and I notice the oil pressure had dropped. I pulled over and put oil and coolant back in, did that til I got her back home. Now I am back to in town driving and put a quart of oil in every month or so, and a quart of tranny fluid every 2 months. After the engine warms up the oil pressure stays low while I am driving. The coolant seems fine now, but I haven't driven further than 30 or 40 miles straight and I haven't been back on any type of interstate since.
I had an old, 77, f150 with a cm400/cg combo and it seems all the battles I had with that truck were completely different. Wouldn't you know none of my previous experience seems to be a help!!!! :))

Thanks all for your advice and tips.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top