How Can I Increase Mpg?

88pimpin

Postwhore, Pimpin Ain't Easy
I'm planning on getting some 32-33"s, so that's not gonna help. What are some things I can do to increase gas mileage? I'm gonna change my fuel filter soon, so that should help. I get a smell when I romp on it, a heavy fuel smell. Would it be possible to decrease the gas going into the engine, or should I just lose some weight from my foot?

I don't have overdrive, so is it possible to replace the transmission to one that has overdrive? Gas might be so expensive that this would be a cheap solution, not to mention I still could sell my old tranny. I also don't like driving it on highways doing 70 with 3000 rpms. My Cougar doesn't do that until I'm around 90mph.

A new set of spark plugs and wires would probably help too, right?

I don't like the cost it would be, but would some new O2 sensors help?

One of my friends put on a set of headers and said they helped him a little on gas mileage, plus the extra power.

What else helps with gas mileage, outside of like say, a supercharger.
 
A good tune-up always helps. Plugs, wires, cap/rotor, ALL filters, oil change. A K&N air filter is a good idea.

Jeff
 
Keeping the foot off the pedal is the best way to start.. AFTER a full tune up.

The engine a FI or carburated?
 
Since your 88 Bronco is EFI, it is critical for all of the sensors to be working right. You can clean the I.A.C., check the voltage for the T.P.S. and see if you have any codes from things like the E.G.R. position sensor. Changing the O2 sensor won't help, unless you have a constant code from it, which may be due to one of the forementioned items. Headers may help a little, but installing a single cat and highflow muffler would be better. You can get 1/2-2 mpg more with just a K&N filter, as the air intake is just as important as the exhaust. A complete tune-up is in order if your mileage is less than 10 mpg or it's been 50K miles since the last one. You may even have a bad injector, so have them checked, too.
 
It already has a K&N in it from whoever put it in. Wouldn't hurt to clean it if it has been a while since it was installed. I should get it tuned up, since it has almost 118,000 on it. I really wanna put headers on anyway. What brands would you guys recommend? I saw some Flowtech ones for sale.

All in all, it runs pretty good, except the tires are kinda sucky, the roads suck so door shakes some when I'm on the highway, every now and then when it's at idle it'll shake for a second, and gas mileage sucks.

It's raining right now, so there's not much I can do tonight, and tomorrow will probably be sucky too. I might see about the fuel filter, if I can figure out how to unhook the fuel pump. Where is it? I found the fuel filter, but I thought it looked like the pump was underneath the door, too, instead of in the gas tank. Am I supposed to pull the fuse, or is there a wire harness to unhook?


Thanks for the replies!
 
Well, adding 33" tires will lower the RPM's on the freeway. Which will give better gas milage. So instead of 3000 RPM's at 70 it might drop to 2800. 35's would probably drop it to 2500. In town it will be tougher to get going so depending on what the Bronco see more of you will know what to do.
You can always add: Headers, 3" dual exhaust, MSD Ignition system, upgrade to a MSD distributor.
Clean the injectors, clean the K&N filter, Clean the throttle body (inside it), repalce fuel filter and tune up. Keep that # 8 wire free from the others. Can cause a low idle miss.
 
Alright, cool. I'll check into some of those and see if I can get some of those on and fixed up.
 
If you are going to change the fuel filter yourself, grt a Haynes or Chilton repair manual. It details the procedure, starting with tripping the inertia switch under the dash to relieve the pressure. Your Bronco has 2 fuel pumps, one inside the tank and the one on the framerail.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top