Help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter barebackbronco
  • Start date Start date
B

barebackbronco

Guest
I have just purchased a 1971 bronco and I am attempting to get my truck in good running condition. My problem is that I need to get the front drum brakes off my truck. We have tried everything that we can think of to do this. If anyone knows how to accomplish this I would be thankful of your input.
 
If you have a way to heat them up a little that helps sometimes,Although the drums are cheap to buy. So take a BFH(big f*~#*~# hammer) and beat them off.
 
Are the drums seized by rust or are they just stuck on the shoes? Can you move them at all? You may try backing off the self adjuster a little to see if that helps.
 
On my 70 model the lug bolts are crimped onto the hub and I had to take the locknuts out of the hub to get to the brakes.To get the old lugs out I used a torch since I was replacing the drums anyway.Not much work but a manual will help you to see how it is done.
 
If the drums are original to the truck, they will be "crimped" on to the studs.
You can do two things here.
Remove the bearing hub and drum as an assembly ( probably a good idea to do this any ways, as you should do a bearing inspection and a re-pack)
or you can buy a "swedge" tool, it is used to cut the "crimp" away from the stud, and allows you to remove the drum without disturbing the bearings.
 
Thanks guys, I was able to get it off with a bfh and a gear puller. :)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top