Help Needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter seminolepete
  • Start date Start date
S

seminolepete

Guest
I have a '68 with a '78 302 in it. The engine is new and everything but the distributor has been replaced. The coil is mounted on the intake manifold. Here's the problem. Runs great at idle, but when I accelerate and ope the 4 BBL it sputters or skips for a moment. I took it to a local shop and they have no ideas for me. I think it may be the carb which is new and never been adjusted or the distributor. Thanks for any advice
 
sounds like both the timing and a faulty accelarator pump in the carb.
what kind is it and what is the timming set at with the vacum advance pluged off.
 
Edelbrock carb and I don't know the timing setting. Runs great with plenty of power in first and second gear. Third gear has the problem.
 
I run the edelbrock to and had the sme problem.I solved it by advancing the timing.Theres a few ways you can do this,1 is with the good old trusty timing light,another is with a vacum gauge,done simply by advancing the timing till max vacum is peaked,the last way I've done it is takin the 1/2" wrench with me and runnig the truck down the road periodicly stopping to advance te timing,keep doing this till it begins to ping a little,then just back it off till it quits.
 
Thanks for the help. I'll try the taking the wrench with me trick. I don't have the timing tab so that takes my timing light away. Take care.
 
I had similar performance problems last summer and a couple of the members sugguested I check out the condition of the coil wire. That did the trick. Ran like a champ after that. Hope that helps.
 
I replaced the distributer and fuel pump at the same time. Don't which one worked but she's running great. Thanks for the help guys.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top