Hello

  • Thread starter Thread starter big timer
  • Start date Start date
B

big timer

Guest
Hello,

I am a new of this website, my screen name is big timer i have a 1989 ford bronco Eddie Bower addition, with a 351 winser in it.

Ok now for the question: After i drive my bronco to work and school and come home(it is at least 50 miles round trip) i shut my truck off and if i try to start it before it cools off. It will not turn over, if any one has any solutions to my problems please let me know.



Thanks, Big Timer
 
It sounds like the starter will not turn the motor over it is sort of a clicking sound like the battery is dead, but it is not the battery. has this ever happened to you and how much would a new starter cost me?
 
I will guess or assume :D, that the starter is barely, if at all, turning the engine over when you try to restart the engine.
This can be a few things, one of which is a bad starter, or going bad from excessive heat.
Plan ahead for the next time by keeping a socket and a breaker handle in the bronco.
When it does this, get underneath and see how easy or difficult it is to turn the engine by hand. I am willing to bet it turns by hand easily.
If so, remove the starter and have it tested and go from there.
 
Thank you,
I will do that, any estimate on how much a new one would cost me?
 
By clicking, I would agree with BigNasty. The starter is most likely weak so when it gets hot it just can't hack it.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Mmm.. 65 on up, depending where and what warranty it has.

And a clicking noise can also be the solenoid itself going bad.
Next time, pop the hood and have someone turn the key while you stand on the passenger side listening.
The solenoid an be plainly heard since it is on the upper fenderwell on that side and it is a LOT easier and cheaper to replace than the starter is.. I think I went through two of them at about $7 each on the day I got my engine running after the rebuild.
If it does end up being the solenoid, get a spare or two and save yourself a self inflicted kick in the arse for not having one when you need it and the parts stores are all locked up at night :D

Another thing to check is the battery cables and their connections.
Acid can cause corrosion in the cables and leave the outer jacket looking like nothing is wrong.
Meanwhile, the load on a cable along with extra heat from the engine, can cause enough of an amp drop to keep the engine from starting.

I doubt its the cables though, but it can and does happen from time to time.
 
I would suspect the starter solenoid, too, as I have to replace mine every 3-4 months. When it won't start, feel the housing if it is hot to the touch, it's bad. Be sure to get the part with a lifetime guarantee, so you don't have to pay over and over, as these will go out quite readily. A spare is a great idea.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top